International Student Application

Thank you for your interest in earning a degree from Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte, North Carolina, as an F-1 student. Come join our large international student community of over 3,000 students representing 152 different countries.

Charlotte, North Carolina, home to Central Piedmont's six full-service college campuses, is a great place to live and to study. Charlotte's climate is pleasant, the mountains are less than two hours away, and ocean beaches are three hours away. As a growing city (about 1.6 million people in the metropolitan area), Charlotte is also home to a variety of professional sports teams, a thriving arts scene, and a busy international airport.

How to Attend Central Piedmont as an International Student

Apply as an international student if you are applying for an F-1 student visa, changing your current nonimmigrant status to F-1, or transferring your SEVIS record to Central Piedmont.


  1. Complete all the international student application documents.
  2. Once you are admitted as an international student, complete the steps to enroll at Central Piedmont.

Keep reading for instructions.

International Student Application Deadlines

Semester Application Opens Application Deadline: Applying for an F-1 Student Visa from Out of Country Application Deadline: Transferring from a U.S. Institution OR Applying for Change of Status in U.S. Latest Date to Report to Central Piedmont (I-20 Program Start Date) Classes Begin
Fall 2024 Mon.,Feb.19, 2024 Mon., Jun.10, 2024 Mon., Jun. 17, 2024 TBD TBD
Spring 2025 Mon., Jul. 15, 2024 Mon., Nov. 11, 2024 Mon., Nov.18, 2024 TBD TBD

Find fall, spring, and summer semester dates.

Step 1: Complete All International Student Application Documents

Type your responses on all of the following forms. You must email this application, along with the following required supporting documents to for your application to be considered. After submitting all required documents via email, you will receive an auto generated email. The automatically generated email is your confirmation email. You will receive two emails as part of the admission process. The first email you receive, is an email with your student ID number. The following email will be your acceptance letter and I-20. The admission process is complete only after receiving both emails. If we need additional information or missing information to process your application, we will reach out to you via email. Your Form I-20 and acceptance letter will be emailed to the address that you put in your application. If you do not attend Central Piedmont, we will keep a record of your application for one year. If you have questions about the application process, please contact International Student Services.

  • 1. International Student Application

    Complete the international student application (PDF). Please download the application and type your responses.

  • 2. Evidence of Financial Ability, Signed Guarantee of Financial Support

    We must have a statement from your or your sponsor’s checking or savings bank account that shows that you have at least $16,850 on deposit. This $16,850 is the approximate total cost of the following expenses for one academic year:

    • Central Piedmont tuition and fees: $8,000
    • living expenses and books: $8,500
    • medical insurance: $350

    The statement must be no older than two months from the date you submit it to us.

    If you plan to bring dependents with you to the U.S., your evidence of financial support must include an additional $5,000 per dependent. For example, if you plan to bring one dependent with you, your evidence of financial support must show that you have $21,850 ($16,850 + $5,000) available to you.

    In addition to the statement, the guarantee of financial support form (page two in the international student application (PDF)) must be signed by you and your sponsor. The name on the bank document must match the name on the guarantee of financial support form. If your sponsor is a business, we will need the business license or letter from the bank stating owner of the business account. 

  • 3. Copy of Official Diploma and Transcripts

    When you submit your international student application, the Kal Kardous International Student Services Center will accept copies of your diploma and transcripts. (You will need to submit official documents later.)

  • 4. International Student Application Fee

    Complete the credit card authorization form (page three in the international student application (PDF)) for the $40 international student application processing fee.

  • 5. Immigration Documents

    • Copy of your passport biographical page
    • If you have dependents, a copy of their passport biographical pages
    • If you are applying for a change of status, a copy of your current visa and I-94
    • If you are transferring from another U.S. institution, a copy of your I- 20, current visa and I-94
  • 6. Evidence of English Competency

    To meet the English prerequisites, you must meet the TOEFL or IELTS requirement, or complete the Academic English as a Foreign Language (EFL) program. The score requirements are:

    • total score of at least 65, with no single score below 16 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT)
    • total score of at least 6.0, with no single score below 5.5 on the Academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

    If any one of your scores falls below the minimum, you are required to complete the Academic EFL program.

  • 7. Transferring from Another United States School

    If you are an F-1 student already studying in the United States, you may be able to transfer to Central Piedmont. To be eligible to transfer, you must consistently maintain your status and follow the correct transfer procedures. To maintain your status at your current school, you must continue attending all of your classes until your transfer release date. Your transfer release date is the day that the Designated School Official (DSO) at your current school moves responsibility of your SEVIS record to Central Piedmont.

    You and your DSO must complete the transfer recommendation (page four in the international student application (PDF))

  • 8. Dependent Intake Form

    Your spouse and unmarried minor children (under age 21) may accompany you to the United States under the F-2 dependent status. Your dependents are only eligible to legally stay or extend their stay in the U.S. if you maintain your legal status.

    Complete the dependent intake form (page five in the international student application (PDF)) and provide additional evidence of financial ability ($5,000 per dependent) to receive a Form I-20 for each dependent.

Step 2: Enroll at the College (After Your International Student Application is Accepted)

Once your application is accepted, complete the following steps to enroll at Central Piedmont. If you are a new student, apply and get your F-1 student visa before completing these steps. If you are changing your status, get your change of status approved before you complete these steps.


The following is a list of helpful resources to help you as you begin your studies at Central Piedmont. For information about how to maintain your F-1 status, please visit our international student resources page.

  • Social Security Number

    As an F-1 student, you are only eligible to receive a social security number if you will receive payment for on- or off-campus employment with the proper authorization. If you are entering a health science program, depending on your program, you may be required to have a social security number for state licensure.

  • Housing

    Central Piedmont does not have student housing. However, there are many housing options close to each campus. We have provided some options that aren't affiliated or endorsed by Central Piedmont, but were selected by students.

    Apartments near Central Campus:

    Apartment Search allows you to search for apartments near any Central Piedmont campus.

    Most places will not require a social security number if they know that you are an international student.

  • Medical Insurance

    Healthcare can be very expensive in the United States, so having healthcare coverage is important. Your I-20 estimated the cost of health insurance coverage for a year. Your actual cost will depend on the amount and type of coverage that is right for you. Although Central Piedmont cannot recommend a health insurance provider, we have provided a few resources to help you research health insurance options:

  • Employment

    As an F-1 student, you are allowed to work on campus. You may work off campus if you are authorized. You may also engage in practical training. Practical training allows you to get practical experience in your field of study through either Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT). Visit our international students resources page for more information about F-1 student employment options.