Receiving and Using Your Financial Aid

The financial aid package should be completed before course registration or tuition and fees will need to be paid for before the designated due dates. If tuition and fees are not paid within designated due dates, registration is cancelled. While enrolled at Central Piedmont, use MyCollege to view an interactive checklist to help you navigate the financial aid process.

Award Information: The Award Letter

For financial aid purposes, if all your documents show “Received” or “Waived” for the current school year, your file is complete and our staff is working on awarding your financial aid. Once a file is complete, you will receive an email and you can view your financial aid award letter on your MyCollege.

The financial aid award that is offered by Central Piedmont is the total financial aid offer. You may choose to accept all the financial aid offered, or you may choose to accept only certain individual financial aid components, such as the alternative loans, federal work-study, or other grants. If one component is declined, no additional aid will be offered to make up for that declined aid. If you receive resources at any time during the award year that was not considered in calculating your eligibility for aid and these resources combined with the expected financial aid will exceed your need, the amount in excess of your need is considered an over-award. Therefore, you must notify Central Piedmont of any additional assistance that you receive, such as outside scholarships and employer reimbursements.

The award letter is based on full-time enrollment for an entire year. Any changes in enrollment status must be reported to the Financial Aid Office.

  • Full-time status (100%) means enrollment for a minimum of 12 credit hours.
  • Three-quarter time status (75%) means enrollment for 9 to 11 credit hours.
  • Half-time status (50%) means enrollment for 6 to 8 credit hours.
  • Less than half-time status consists of enrollment in 1 to 5 credit hours.

The Financial Aid Office reserves the right to adjust a financial aid package when an over-award is made. You are required to notify the Financial Aid Office if you receive any additional funding assistance for educational expenses, such as scholarships. Furthermore, the Financial Aid Office voids any award if it is determined that the student provided incorrect or false information on the financial aid application. All financial aid awards are subject to change if the information on which they were based changes, if federal regulations require a change, or an over-award occurs. Central Piedmont Community College's Financial Aid Office adjusts student awards throughout the drop/add period. After the drop/add period, no awards are adjusted unless a "never attended" or a "complete withdrawal" is received from the instructor before the start date.

To determine eligibility criteria for all awards and important financial aid information, review the award information packet (PDF).


What is a financial aid refund?

A financial aid refund is the dollar amount of financial aid remaining after school expenses for the current academic year are deducted.

Tuition, fees, and bookstore charges are examples of school expenses. Some types of financial aid may not qualify for a refund (such as various scholarships or sponsorships). Class attendance impacts eligibility for refunds. To maintain eligibility for awarded aid, students earn federal and state aid by attending class at least through the 60% point of the enrollment period. Failure to remain enrolled and attend classes as required may result in the reversal of awarded aid.  Students are responsible for repaying refunds for aid that was not earned by attending through the 60% point of the enrollment period.

When are financial aid refunds processed?

Remaining financial aid funds, after tuition/fees and books, will be released for disbursement according to the schedule on the financial aid calendar. The actual date that you receive your refund is based on your designated refund preference. Financial aid will be credited to Central Piedmont student accounts based on the start date of each course. Every curriculum (for-college-credit) course has a 10% point (census date). Review census date information (PDF) or find it on your course syllabus. Financial aid will not be credited to a student account before the 10% point (census date) of each curriculum course. Refunds are processed throughout the semester based on the 10% point (census date) of each enrolled course, per the following refund schedule:

Census Date of Course (in order to be included in financial aid disbursement Refund Date
August 31, 2019 September 13, 2019
September 28, 2019 October 11, 2019
October 29, 2019 November 15, 2019
November 29, 2019 December 6, 2019

Scheduled refund dates are subject to adjustment if technical problems, system issues, or other unplanned challenges occur. Refunds will be deposited into the account you designate by the end of the business day on the "Scheduled Refund Date." Refund dates are firm, and refunds will not be issued earlier than the scheduled dates.

Students who have been identified as "Never Attended" or given a "Last Date of Attendance" by instructors for a course may not be eligible for some or all aid for that course, even if the course has ended.

How will I receive my financial aid refund?

Central Piedmont uses BankMobile, a division of Customer Bank, for all disbursements. You do not have to use a BankMobile product, but you must create an account and select the option you prefer to receive your funds. If you do not select your refund preference, your funds may be delayed up to two weeks.

BankMobile will send you a personal code via your Central Piedmont student email account or by mail. Follow the instructions listed to set up your account and determine your refund preference:

  • electronic deposit to another account:

    • Money is transferred to another account the same business day BankMobile receives funds from Central Piedmont Community College. Typically, it takes 1-2 business days for the receiving bank to credit the money to your account.
  • electronic deposit to a Bankmobile Vibe account:
    • If you open a BankMobile Vibe (upon identity verification), money is deposited the same business day BankMobile receives funds from Central Piedmont Community College.

If you select to receive a BankMobile debit card, your card will be mailed to the primary address you have on file with Central Piedmont and you will receive a personal code to use in order to activate your BankMobile debit card account. You must activate your card account before an actual card is mailed to you. To learn more about the BankMobile debit card, visit the Central Piedmont debit card website, contact BankMobile at 1.866.782.0821, or visit the Central Piedmont Cashier's Office site.

How will I know when my refund has been credited to my designated bank account or BankMobile Vibe checking account?

  • BankMobile will notify you via email when refunds are credited to the BankMobile debit cards (BankMobile Vibe).
  • BankMobile will notify subscribers via mobile alerts (text messages) when refunds are credited to the BankMobile debit cards (BankMobile Vibe).
  • If you opted to have your refund deposited into an alternate designated bank account, please check with your banking institution for information on deposit notifications and alerts.

How can I check the amount of my scheduled refund?

You can check the amount of your refund on MyCollege. The amounts shown in your award letter are based on full-time enrollment (12 credits per term). If you are enrolled for fewer than 12 credits when your funds are disbursed, your award amounts might have been adjusted. If you have questions about your award amounts, contact the Financial Aid Office.

What happens to unclaimed financial aid funds?

The unclaimed award funds reporting policy for Central Piedmont's Financial Aid Office is to identify, capture, report, and remit all due unclaimed funds, where we have been unsuccessful in locating the student, and ensure compliance with the laws of the State of North Carolina and the Department of Education (federal laws). Students who do not activate their BankMobile account or who have never made a refund selection, or who have not cashed a refund check, will have their funds voided and returned to the appropriate agency within 90 days. If your voided funds are North Carolina grants, by law, these funds are escheated, or turned over to the Department of State Treasurer. You can check the State Treasurer’s website to claim these funds. If your unclaimed funds are federal, such as awards from Federal Student Aid (FSA), the funds will be returned to the Department of Education within 90 days. Funds from prior award years cannot be reissued.

It is important to keep student addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses updated. Changes in personal information can be made online at MyCollege or in person at Records and Registration at any campus location.

Any unclaimed refunds are voided after 90 days. Funds can be reissued only before August 1 for the prior fiscal year award (July 1 to June 30).