Considerations for Students and Families

We are glad you are considering Dual Enrollment at Central Piedmont!

Dual Enrollment students can take advantage of everything college has to offer while you still have support from your high school. We provide our dual enrolled students with a variety of resources and benefits so you can make the most of your experience with us.

What is Dual Enrollment?

Our Dual Enrollment program allows high school or homeschooled students to enroll — tuition-free — in college classes. Whether you intend to pursue a four-year degree or go right into the workforce, the Dual Enrollment program can ease the financial burden of higher education while making your educational and career goals attainable.

Dual-enrolled students can: 

  • earn high school and college credit for a single course
  • demonstrate their abilities to college recruiters through earning transfer credit
  • discover fields of study that help them choose a career 

Our small class sizes and academic support — such as tutoring, labs, and libraries — are available to help you succeed. In addition, students in the Dual Enrollment program can take advantage of leadership opportunities, service-learning, and student clubs and organizations. This helps connect dual-enrolled students to other Central Piedmont students, faculty, and staff.

Things to Consider when Exploring Dual Enrollment

Dual Enrollment is a significant opportunity with many advantages. It is also a commitment that may, or may not, be the right fit for you. 

School / Life Balance

Dual Enrollment students must balance high school classes, extracurricular activities, and other commitments with their college classes. For example, if you participate in sports or have a part-time job, you may need to work these activities around your class schedules. It is important to consider all of this when deciding how many classes to take.

Calendar and Schedule

Students in Dual Enrollment follow Central Piedmont’s academic calendar, which will differ from your high school’s calendar.  You are still required to attend college classes even if your high school may be closed or on a break.

Transportation and Meals

Transportation to and from campus is your responsibility; meal planning is also a consideration for days when your classes meet on campus. Online classes may also be an option depending on the pathway you choose.


Dual Enrollment students are like any other college student. When given the opportunity, you will learn to navigate college, be self-sufficient and advocate for yourself. While families may oversee some aspects of dual enrollment, ultimately you are responsible for your success.

Information Sessions

We offer virtual information sessions so you can learn more about Dual Enrollment. These sessions provide a great opportunity to explore our pathways, understand which courses are required, and what you can do with the credit you earn.

Attend a Dual Enrollment Information Session


Students: accommodation plans such as an IEP or 504 Plan do not automatically transfer to college. If you would like to request accommodations at Central Piedmont, contact Disability and Access Services

Parents/guardians: you can assist your student(s) with requesting accommodations. However, once they are enrolled at Central Piedmont, parents/guardians will not have access to students' educational records due to protection under FERPA.

Students: you may choose to grant access to your educational records to your parents/guardians. To do so, please complete this Student Information Release Authorization Form (PDF) and email it to Central Piedmont’s Records department.

Grade Appeals and Grievances

We recommend trying to resolve any issues first with the instructor; however, if that is not possible or successful, students have the right to file a formal appeal/grievance.

  • If a student would like to file a grade appeal or a grievance, the written statement must be filed within 30 calendar days after the alleged decision or action occurred. We recommend involving a member of the Dual Enrollment team sooner rather than later so we can help the student advocate and escalate if needed.
  • Students can access the policy and procedure as well as the necessary forms here.

Medical and Compassionate Withdrawal

If a student is not able to complete their class(es) for extraordinary medical or personal reasons, the student can consider applying for a medical or compassionate withdrawal. Requests must be submitted no later than 30 days after the last day of the impacted term.

  • Students can access the policy and procedure here and the required form here.  
  • Once the form and personal statement are complete and the necessary documents are gathered, students can email the complete packet to Tammi Johnson.
  • Students should be notified of a decision within 10 business days of submitting their request.
  • To learn more about withdrawals, review our website.

Common Questions about Dual Enrollment 

What college classes can a high school count for graduation credit? 

The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI) determines which dual enrollment classes count toward graduation requirements. Visit the NCDPI website for more details

Which North Carolina public universities are part of the articulation agreement with Central Piedmont?

All universities in the UNC System are part of the agreement.

Which independent colleges and universities accept credit from Central Piedmont?

Visit the NC Community Colleges website to learn more about institutions that will accept credit earned by dual enrollment students at Central Piedmont.

How does credit transfer to out-of-state or private colleges and universities?

For schools outside of these two articulation agreements, you should reach out to the Admissions office of that school to learn how Central Piedmont credits will transfer.

How long can a student take classes through dual enrollment?

Students may participate one academic year per grade level.  Depending on what semester the student starts, they may not receive a full college year (fall, spring, summer semester).

Who is the student’s Academic Advisor?

Dual Enrollment students are advised by the Dual Enrollment staff.

If I finish my transfer pathway while I'm still in dual enrollment, what do I take next?  

We recommend you speak with a transfer advisor and you can email us to get connected with them. You can review our Transfer Degree Course Sequence page for more guidance. 

Still Have Questions?

You are invited to attend one of our virtual information sessions to learn more about Dual Enrollment. These sessions go into more detail about the program, and can help you understand how to choose a pathway, what courses are required, expected outcomes, and how to transfer the credit you earn.