College and Career Readiness

Adult High School

Do you keep hitting a wall because you don't have a high school diploma? Not interested in taking the GED® or HiSET®? The Adult High School Diploma program through Central Piedmont's College and Career Readiness offers you a chance to complete the credits needed to earn a high school diploma from Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.

What You Will Learn

An advisor will review your high school transcript to determine how many classes you need to take to get your diploma. Your transcript evaluation will determine the courses you will need to take, which may include:

  • English
  • math
  • science
  • social studies
  • health
  • electives

Learn About College and Career Readiness

Why Choose Central Piedmont

Central Piedmont's College and Career Readiness offers programs to develop students’ academic skills, earn a high school equivalency (GED® or HiSET®) or adult high school diploma, learn English as a second language (ESL), develop employability skills and participate in various work-based-learning experiences, or explore career and post-secondary educational opportunities. Many programs are free or at a very low cost for qualified participants. 

Real World Education

At Central Piedmont, your education goes beyond what you learn in class. We offer numerous opportunities for you to enhance your learning  — and to make friends, network, and pursue your passions — through clubs and organizations, sports, events and activities, leadership opportunities, job experience, volunteer experiences, visual and performing arts, and even international experiences.

Additional Information

  • Who Can Enroll?

    To be eligible, you must:

    • be 16 years or older (review the requirements for minors
    • be officially withdrawn from your last K-12 public, private, or home school
    • have earned at least 12 credits towards graduation from an accredited high school
  • Pre-Requisite Courses

    Have you always had a problem with math? Or maybe you've been away from school for a while and your reading skills are a little rusty. Don't worry. We want to make sure you succeed, so we offer free pre-requisite classes to help you get started. Based on your College and Career Readiness placement test results, your advisor will recommend one of four levels of reading and/or math classes that are just right for you.

    Which Pre-Requisite Courses Do I Take?

    • To enroll in adult high school courses, you need to score a 9.0 on the placement test in reading and math.
    • If you score below 9.0, you will be placed in pre-requisite courses in reading and/or math until your placement test scores reach 9.0.
    • Most pre-requisite courses last eight weeks and meet 10 hours per week; day and evening classes are available.
    • A computer lab is available if you need additional instructional support or a more flexible schedule.
    • Pre-requisite classes are offered at the Central, Cato, Merancas, and Harper Campuses as well as at several community sites.
    • You must attend on a regular basis and adhere to the department’s attendance policy in order to succeed in the classes.

    How Long Will it Take to Complete Pre-Requisite Classes?

    • If your test results place you in a Level 1 class, you may be able to complete the pre-requisites courses in eight weeks.
    • If your test results place you in a Level 1, 2, or 3 class, it could take you 16—32 weeks to complete the pre-requisite courses.

    After completing level four, you will be prepared to enter the adult high school program.

  • How Long Will the Program Take?

    Your high school transcript evaluation determine how long it will take you to finish the adult high school program. Currently, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (CMS) requires 24 credits for graduation. So, if, for example, you have already earned 18 credits through CMS, you would need to complete six adult high school classes at Central Piedmont. You can take up to three classes every 8-week session.

  • Locations and Course Delivery Methods

    Adult high school classes are offered through a traditional class setting, a computer-assisted lab setting, and online. You can select the options that best meet your learning style and needs. Traditional classes are located at Central Campus only.

  • How Do I Enroll?

    Step 1. Apply for Admission to Central Piedmont (New Students)

    If you have applied to Central Piedmont before, you do not need to apply again. If you have applied to Central Piedmont before, but don't remember your student ID number, username, or if you are in our system, please first email or If you do not receive an email with your student ID number within one business day after submitting your application, please contact us.

    Submit the Central Piedmont College and Career Readiness application

    If you need help, please contact First Year Experience.

    Step 2. Create Central Piedmont Login

    Create your Central Piedmont login. Your login will work in all of our systems after 6–24 hours. It will work right away only in the Central Piedmont login menu.

    Step 3. Take the High School Completion Placement Test

    Placement test information

    Step 4. Submit Your Official Transcripts

    1. Request an official (sealed) copy of your high school transcript(s) from all of the high schools you have attended. If you are a former CMS student, you can request an official copy of your high school transcript online or you can request an official copy of your high school transcript in person from CMS Student Records.
    2. Bring your official high school transcript(s) in its original, sealed envelope to the Central Campus Student Records or Admissions Office.

    You will be contacted once we have determined if you completed at least 12 credits in high school or not. Although you will be ineligible to participate in the adult high school program if you did not complete at least 12 credit hours in high school, you may still do the high school equivalency exam program. For help, contact Angela Robinson at or 704.330.6778, or contact Stacey Perek at at 704.330.2722, ext. 3629.

    Step 5. Attend Group Advising and Register for Classes

    After you take the placement test, you will be scheduled to attend New Student Seminar. At the seminar, an academic advisor will help you create your class schedule.

  • Explore Careers

    Central Piedmont Career Coach

  • Related Programs

    • Career Development
    • Caseworker Training: NC Fast and DSS Human Services
    • English as a Second Language (ESL)
    • ESL Plus
    • High School Equivalency Exam (GED® or HiSET®)
    • Independence and Literacy Education for Adults with Disabilities (I-LEAD)
    • NC Works NextGen (Work and Learn)
    • Pathways to Careers
    • Rise 2 Work