College and Career Readiness

English as a Second Language (ESL)

Learn English for free at Central Piedmont Community College.

What You Will Learn

We help you learn English to help you:

  • go to college
  • go on to get a high school diploma or equivalency
  • communicate with others
  • have better opportunities at work
  • learn important things about living in the US
  • participate in your child’s education

You will not receive college credit for ESL courses. Contact Academic ESL/English as a Foreign Language if you want to earn college credit for English courses. Learn more about options to learn English at Central Piedmont.

Who Can Enroll

To be eligible for ESL, you must:

  • be 16 years or older
  • be officially withdrawn from your last K-12 public, private, or home school (if you are under the age of 18)
  • not be in the U.S. on an F-1 or J-1 visa

If you are an international student with an F-1 visa or in the U.S. as an “au pair” with a J-1 visa, you are not eligible to take Adult ESL with College and Career Readiness. Contact Academic ESL/English as a Foreign Language if you have an F-1 or J-1 visa or if you want to earn college credit for English courses.

Enroll Now

  • Apply for Admission to Central Piedmont (New Students)

    If you have applied to Central Piedmont before, you do not need to apply again. If you have applied to Central Piedmont before, but don't remember your student ID number, username, or if you are in our system, please first contact Admissions or email If you do not receive an email with your student ID number within one business day after submitting your application, please contact us. If you need help with the application, contact First Year Experience.

    Submit the Central Piedmont College and Career Readiness application

  • Create your Central Piedmont login. Your login will work in all of our systems after 6–24 hours. It will work right away only in the Central Piedmont login menu.

  • Take the College and Career Readiness Placement Test

  • Schedule an Advising Appointment and Register for Classes

    During your testing session, you will schedule an appointment with an academic and career advisor. Advisors can help you review your placement test results, discuss your career interests and any potential barriers you may have to attend class regularly, help you develop you career and academic plan, and register you in classes if needed.

Additional Information