For the college's coronavirus updates, please visit www.cpcc.edu/coronavirus.
As of March 18, Central Piedmont Community College suspended classes that require face-to-face, in-person instruction until further notice. College faculty and staff are working to move as many classes as possible to online delivery, with these online classes re-starting on March 23.
All Central Piedmont classes that can be offered remotely will be provided via online delivery. All classes that require in-person instruction will be suspended for now.
Central Piedmont remains open, however, its campuses and centers will be accessible only to employees whose presence is required to perform essential functions related to the operations and business of the college.
Read the complete message at cpcc.edu/coronavirus.
The population is growing, and so is people's appetite for good food. Restaurants, hotels, resorts, clubs, catering operations, contract food services, and healthcare facilities are all looking for educated, qualified culinary professionals. Central Piedmont will train you in the right skills for the right career at the right price.
What You Will Learn
Culinary arts refers to more than just cooking classes — it encompasses the art and practice of all aspects of food preparation, cooking, final presentation, and culinary management. Training in the culinary arts prepares you for a wide variety of career paths in a dynamic and exciting culinary landscape. You will gain theoretical knowledge and practical applications that provide critical competencies to meet industry demands, including environmental stewardship, operational efficiencies, and professionalism. Courses you till take include sanitation and safety, baking, culinary fundamentals, production skills, nutrition, customer service, purchasing and cost control, and human resource management. Courses focusing on global cuisines, farm-to-table concepts, and menu design equip you with the in-demand skills employers are looking for. Upon completion of the program, you:
- will be able to work effectively as a team member to produce prepared foods, maintaining prescribed Serv-Safe sanitation standards and safe use of equipment and small wares
- earn the professional designation of Certified Culinarian (if a member of the Charlotte American Culinary Federation Junior Chapter). Certification through the American Culinary Federation demonstrates skill, knowledge, and professionalism to the food service industry. Certified Culinarians within a commercial foodservice are responsible for preparing and cooking sauces, cold food, fish, soups and stocks, meats, vegetables, eggs, and other food items
- will have completed Serv-Safe training and will be able to demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed in setting high food safety standards to keep your operation, your customers, and your employees safe
Why Choose Central Piedmont
Central Piedmont boasts one of the top culinary arts schools in the country. Our culinary arts program is also the only program in Charlotte that is accredited by the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation Accrediting Commission (ACFEFAC) and has achieved "Exemplary Status." Ours was also the only culinary program in North Carolina to be named to the Best Choice Schools' (BCS) list of "Top 20 Best Culinary Schools on the East Coast," where we ranked 14.
In our culinary arts program, you will:
- learn on state-of-the-art equipment
- experience a variety of settings; classroom, lab, and work-study
- produce fantastic culinary creations using the best products available
- learn from proven industry professionals who have seen it all
- enjoy small class settings and individual attention to help achieve your career goals
Real World Education
At Central Piedmont, your education goes beyond what you learn in class. We offer numerous opportunities for you to enhance your learning — and to make friends, network, and pursue your passions — through clubs and organizations, sports, events and activities, leadership opportunities, job experience, volunteer experiences, visual and performing arts, and even international experiences.