Baking and Pastry Arts
The population is growing, and so is people's appetite for good food. Restaurants, hotels, resorts, clubs, catering operations, contract food services, and healthcare facilities are all looking for educated, qualified culinary professionals. Central Piedmont will train you in the right skills for the right career at the right price.
What You Will Learn
The Central Piedmont baking and pastry arts program requires no previous industry experience and is designed to provide you with the skills and knowledge required for employment in the baking and pastry industry.
This includes restaurants, hotels, independent bakeries and pastry shops, high-volume bakeries, as well as wholesale and retail markets. Students gain theoretical and practical knowledge through daily application of skills to meet industry demands. Coursework emphasizes environmental stewardship, operational efficiencies, and professionalism.
Students take courses to develop a variety of specialty skills including; artisan breads, chocolate and confections, plated desserts, decorative sugar and chocolate work, high-volume bakery production. Graduates qualify for entry-level positions, such as pastry or bakery assistant, pastry cook.
Through the course of the program, you will:
- attain certification as a Serv-Safe food protection manager
- train to confidently use a variety of industry specific tools and equipment
- acquire foundational baking and pastry skills to create an extensive marketable portfolio
- practice techniques and understand methodology of artisan bread making
- achieve a working knowledge of creating handmade chocolate candies and custom confections
- gain experience designing high end cakes for a variety of events
- learn to compose plated desserts to meet fine dining standards
- develop concepts and marketing strategies for bakery operations
- understand strategies for cost control and efficient business management
- have gained 320 hours of work-based experience
American Culinary Federation designation of Certified Pastry Culinarian may be available to graduates. Certification through the American Culinary Federation demonstrates skill, knowledge, and professionalism to the food service industry.
Contact the program chair with any questions about the program.
Why Choose Central Piedmont
Our program is the only school for baking and pastry arts in Charlotte that is accredited by the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation Accrediting Commission (ACFEFAC) and has achieved "Exemplary Status." In our program, you will:
- learn on state of the art equipment
- experience a wide variety of settings: classroom, lab, and work-study
- produce fantastic desserts and breads using the best products available
- learn from proven industry professionals who have seen it all
- enjoy small class settings and individual attention to help achieve your career goals
You will also have the opportunity gain hands-on experience in the Greenway Restaurant and to participate in the Baking and Pastry Arts Club.
Real World Education
At Central Piedmont, your education goes beyond what you learn in class. We offer numerous opportunities for you to enhance your learning — and to make friends, network, and pursue your passions — through clubs and organizations, sports, events and activities, leadership opportunities, job experience, volunteer experiences, visual and performing arts, and even international experiences.