The Central Piedmont Horticulture Technology curriculum is designed to prepare you for various careers in horticulture. Classroom instruction and practical laboratory applications of horticultural principles and practices are included in the program of study.
What You Will Learn
Coursework includes plant science, plant materials, propagation, soils, fertilizers, and pest management. Also included are courses in plant production, landscaping, and the management and operation of horticulture businesses. The program focuses on:
- the general production and management of cultivated plants, shrubs, flowers, foliage, trees, ground covers, and related plant materials
- the management of technical and business operations connected with horticultural services
- the basic science principles needed to understand plants and their management and care
Upon completion of the program, you will be able to:
- successfully manage landscape maintenance businesses by utilizing plant skill sets such as plant identification and culture and critical thinking skills such as why, when, and how to fertilize, prune, and apply pesticides to landscape plants
- integrate knowledge, skills, and experience gained to analyze various landscapes and formulate landscape design plans that are functional, aesthetically pleasing, and meet client needs
- successfully produce greenhouse and nursery stock in the Charlotte area by integrating knowledge, skills, and techniques gained, such as market analysis, plant ID and culture, plant propagation, and growing techniques
Graduates should qualify for employment opportunities in nurseries, garden centers, greenhouses, landscape operations, gardens and governmental agencies. Graduates also should be prepared to take the following exams:
- the North Carolina Certified Plant Professional Exam
- the licensed pesticide applicators exam
- the ISA (International Society of Arboriculture) certified arborist exam
Why Choose Central Piedmont
In addition to other opportunities, you will also have the opportunity to participate in the student Horticulture Club.
Real World Education
At Central Piedmont, your education goes beyond what you learn in class. We offer numerous opportunities for you to enhance your learning — and to make friends, network, and pursue your passions — through clubs and organizations, sports, events and activities, leadership opportunities, job experience, volunteer experiences, visual and performing arts, and even international experiences.