Learning English at Central Piedmont
Central Piedmont has two options for learning English.
- English as a Foreign Language (EFL): "Academic ESL"
English as a Foreign Language helps you improve your English to prepare for college or want to earn college credit for courses completed.
- English as a Second Language (ESL): "Adult ESL"
English as a Second Language helps beginning to advanced learners develop basic English skills and/or career focused or pre-academic English. English as a Second language courses are free and can be taken regardless of if you have completed high school or have a high school equivalency diploma.
Compare the Two Programs
|English as a Foreign Language (EFL)||English as a Second Language (ESL)|
|International Students on F1-Visas can take?||Yes||No|
|Earns college credit||Yes||No|
Take English as a Foreign Language (EFL) If:
- you are intermediate or advanced, or
- you want to earn college credit for your English courses/you want to take college classes, or
- you are an international student on an F-1 visa
Take English as a Second Language (ESL) If:
- you are a beginner to advanced, or
- your goal is to develop English language skills for everyday activities, pre-academic skills or prepare for a career
- you are not in the U.S. on an F-1 or J-1 visa