Early Childhood Education
Passionate about teaching young children and giving them the building blocks they need to grow and thrive? An early childhood education degree may be right for you. Choose from various Associate in Applied Science degree and certificate options at Central Piedmont.
What You Will Learn
Early childhood education is critical to a child's development and lays a strong foundation for their future success. Prepare to make a difference in people’s lives as a preschool teacher or preschool assistant teacher, child care worker, pre-K worker, or teaching assistant.
Our early childhood education classes prepare you to work with children. You will learn about child growth and development, the many needs of children, and how to communicate with families.
Once you finish our program, you will be prepared to:
- create healthy, respectful, supportive, and challenging environments to promote every child’s learning and development
- use strategies to effectively involve families in their child's development
- create relationships between families, early childhood professionals, and the community
- assess children's development using multiple strategies to support families and children
- build and reflect on positive relationships with children using a wide range of developmentally appropriate teaching and learning approaches
- use knowledge, early years learning standards, and other resources to design, implement, and evaluate developmentally appropriate, meaningful, and challenging curriculum experiences inclusive of all children
- adhere to early childhood education professional and ethical guidelines, take part in professional activities, advocate for children and families, and identify career options within the early childhood education profession
- get practical experience working with children from different age groups in diverse settings
- earn the North Carolina Early Childhood Credential (NCECC), the North Carolina Early Childhood Administration Credential (NCECAC)
Why Choose Central Piedmont
We're proud to be one of the first programs in North Carolina to be nationally accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). In addition to our NAEYC accreditation, we have a strong relationship with many community partners, including: UNC Charlotte, UNC Greensboro, Children’s Developmental Services Agency, Kids R Kids Charlotte, Providence Preparatory School, Charlotte Bilingual Preschool, the Nest at Charlotte Latin, the NC Licensing Division, Alliance Center for Education, Catawba College, Meck Pre-K, NC Pre-K, The Vine at Kilgo/Children’s Cottage, Joyland, Avondale Children’s Center, Park Road Baptist Child Development Center, Open Door School, Child Care Resources Inc., and Smart Start of Mecklenburg County. You will also have the opportunity to participate in the Early Childhood Education Club.
We also have transfer partnerships with certain schools that make it easy for you transfer into their bachelor's program.
The early childhood education degree program has scholarships available to help you pay for the program.
Real World Education
At Central Piedmont, your education goes beyond what you learn in class. We offer numerous opportunities for you to enhance your learning — and to make friends, network, and pursue your passions — through clubs and organizations, sports, events and activities, leadership opportunities, job experience, volunteer experiences, visual and performing arts, and even international experiences.