Examples of Grants from the Government Relations and Grants Portfolio
Training (103 Grants, $16.2M)
Awards focused on efforts targeted to unemployed, emerging, and transitioning workers.
- Early Childhood Teacher Education (Smart Start)
- NC Back to Work (NCCCS)
- Microsoft Elevate America Veterans Initiative – Good Will Industries (Microsoft)
- Center for Integrated Emergency Response Training (FIPSE)
- Pathways Out of Poverty (DOL/ARRA)
Education Reform (21 Grants, $4.7M)
Awards that support strategic innovation and institutional growth.
- NC Competency Based Education (US Dept of Ed)
- Mechatronics Re-Envisioned (US DOL)
- Completion by Design (Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation)
- NCCCS Math CIP (NCCCS)
- Credit When It’s Due (Kresge/Lumina Foundation)
Adult Education and Literacy (70 Grants, $20.6M)
Awards for basic skills development, including secondary credential attainment and language acquisition.
- Comprehensive Family Literacy (NCCCS)
- English Lit/Civics Education (NCCCS)
- Pathways to Employment (NCCCS)
- Project Ideal – Distance Learning (NCCCS)
- Refugee Outreach Literacy (DHHS)
Support Services (28 Grants, $9.2M)
Awards designed to improve student retention, completion, and overall success.
- Single Stop (JMBE)
- Brighter Futures 1.0 & 2.0 (NCCCS)
- NC STEM Alliance (NSF)
- Work & Learn Out of School Youth (Charlotte Works/WIOA)
- TRIO Student Support Services (US Dept of Ed)
Program Enhancement and Development (81 Grants, $8.9M)
Awards for the creation of new programs, including certificates, diplomas, and Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) degrees.
- Regional Effort to Advance Charlotte Information Technology – REACH IT (DOL)
- Center for Non-Destructive Examination Technology (DOL)
- Anti-Counterfeit Printing & Packaging Technology (NSF)
- American Academy of Applied Forensics (NIJ)
- Ultrasonic Testing Fast Track Program (USNRC)
Facilities Equipment and Labs (30 Grants, $6.3M)
Awards which provided funding for bricks and mortar, laboratory upgrades, and equipment purchases to enhance technical instruction.
- Perkins CTE (US Dept of ED)
- Health Sciences Simulation Lab (HRSA)
- Carolinas Energy Training Center (DOE)
- Engineering Technologies Enhancement Grant (Duke)
- Mechatronics Engineering Technology Partnership (Duke)
Community Humanities and Arts (46 Grants, $1.1M)
Non-academic programs and services that benefit Central Piedmont and the public.
- Charlotte Symphony Orchestra on Campus (ASC)
- Dances of India (ASC)
- Pulitzer NC: The Power of Words (NC Humanities)
- Created Equal America’s Civil Rights Struggle (NEH)
- American Promise (WTVI) (CPB/WETA)