The Opportunity Scholarship is an educational and career-training scholarship offered to high school graduates from Garinger, Harding University, Vance, West Charlotte, West Mecklenburg, and other CMS high schools. The scholarship will cover the full cost of attendance to Central Piedmont – tuition, books, and fees — for two years. Students selected for the scholarship will also receive a notebook computer.
Opportunity Scholars Program Selection Criteria
The selection for this scholarship is based on student’s demonstrated potential for success. This includes the following:
- student’s school performance
- current graduating senior for the class of 2019
- a minimum GPA of 2.6
- a letter of recommendation from a teacher or counselor
How to Apply for the Opportunity Scholars Program
- complete the steps to enroll at Central Piedmont
- visit the Central Piedmont scholarship database and login with your Central Piedmont login
- access and submit the general scholarship application form
- click on the “Apply” button next to “Opportunity Scholarship”
- complete the federal application for student financial aid (FAFSA)
The total number of Opportunity scholarship awards each year will be based on available funding. Scholarships are made possible through the generosity of donors in the Charlotte community.
Opportunity Scholars Recipient Required Participation
Students selected for the Opportunity Scholarship will be required to attend the Summer Bridge Program from June 17 – July 25, 2019 Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. – 1:05 p.m. As a part of this scholarship, students will receive one-on-one support from an academic coach who will help each student with career planning, internships, and job placement after graduation.