Jumpstart your career in healthcare in just three semesters: get your practical nurse (PN) diploma and learn to provide safe, competent care as a practical nurse.
What You Will Learn
The PN coursework includes and builds upon the domains of individual, healthcare systems, and nursing practice. Content emphasizes the nurse as a member of the interdisciplinary team, providing safe, individualized care while using evidence-based practice, quality improvement, and informatics.
Graduates of this program are eligible to take the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN).
Program Learning Outcomes
You will be able to:
- plan, organize, and provide client-centered care
- practice professional nursing behaviors incorporating personal responsibility and accountability for continued competence
- use critical thinking and evidence-based practice to make sound nursing judgments to provide safe and effective care
- reinforce and/or implement the teaching plan developed and delegated by the registered nurse for diverse patients and families and/or the healthcare team, incorporating teaching and learning principles
- integrate knowledge of the holistic needs of the individual to provide an individual centered assessment
- implement culturally competent care to diverse clients across the lifespan
- collaborate with the interdisciplinary healthcare team to advocate for positive individual and organizational outcomes
- use informatics to access, manage, and communicate client information and best practices
- communicate professionally and effectively with individuals, significant support person(s), and members of the interdisciplinary healthcare team
Why Choose Central Piedmont
Our program is committed to the college’s mission — to provide a quality, affordable, and accessible education to all. As a Central Piedmont PN student, you will:
- enjoy a flexible learning environment: we offer general education courses online and at our multiple campuses
- learn from quality faculty who bring decades of experience into the classroom
- benefit from our affordability: our one-year PN diploma program is a fraction of the cost of other nursing programs in Mecklenburg county
- learn in classrooms featuring state-of-the-art technology
- participate in clinical and lab experiences at a variety of sites around Charlotte and the Carolinas, providing excellent opportunities to network with potential employers