For the college's coronavirus updates, please visit www.cpcc.edu/coronavirus.
As of March 18, Central Piedmont Community College suspended classes that require face-to-face, in-person instruction until further notice. College faculty and staff are working to move as many classes as possible to online delivery, with these online classes re-starting on March 23.
All Central Piedmont classes that can be offered remotely will be provided via online delivery. All classes that require in-person instruction will be suspended for now.
Central Piedmont remains open, however, its campuses and centers will be accessible only to employees whose presence is required to perform essential functions related to the operations and business of the college.
Read the complete message at cpcc.edu/coronavirus.
Diesel and Heavy Equipment Technology
Heavy equipment technician jobs are in demand, and the heavy equipment industry is expecting significant growth over the next few years. Diesel engines can be found across a variety of industries, ranging from trucking and farming, to construction and railroads. As a result, there is a need for qualified professionals who can diagnose and repair this type of equipment. Help keep these industries moving by enrolling in our Diesel and Heavy Equipment Technology program. The diesel and heavy equipment technology program has also partnered with Carolina CAT/LiftOne, the Caterpillar dealer for Western North Carolina, to establish the Carolina CAT Service Technician Program in order to meet the expected demand for these high-tech and hands-on careers.
What You Will Learn
Our skilled instructors will teach you how to inspect, repair, service, and maintain heavy-duty truck and heavy equipment diesel engines, such as heavy-duty trucks over one-ton classification, buses, ships, railroad locomotives and equipment, stationary diesel engines in electrical generators, and related equipment, so you can make the adjustments needed to ensure their future safety and performance. Upon completing our diesel and heavy equipment technology degree program, you will:
- use appropriate service information, tools, equipment, procedures, and technical terminology associated with the industry
- apply the skills necessary to maintain, disassemble, and reassemble the basic systems related to diesel transport and heavy equipment
- test, calibrate, diagnose, and repair complex electronic, pneumatic, and hydraulically-controlled diesel components and equipment
- gain an introduction to industry careers
- increase your awareness of the diverse technologies associated with this dynamic and challenging field
- be prepared to take the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) exam
- be prepared for employment as an entry-level transportation service technician in dealerships, fleet shops, or independent repair shops
The Carolina CAT/LiftOne program blends Carolina CAT/LiftOne's industry techniques with Central Piedmont's state-of-the-art facilities to create a unique learning experience (video) that will prepare you to enter the workforce as an entry-level service technician. As a CAT/LiftOne dealer technician, you enjoy hands-on work with large-scale, high-tech engines and machines. With proper training, you have the opportunity to work with advanced technology – including electronic engine control and electro-hydraulic system controls. You’ll be working with your hands and your head. The Carolina Cat/LiftOne program features:
- courses focused on heavy equipment sold by Carolina CAT/LiftOne
- hands-on activities, including training on Caterpillar equipment
- an eight-week work-based learning experience with Carolina CAT/LiftOne
- classes led by Central Piedmont’s quality faculty and Carolina CAT/LiftOne’s technical trainers
- a convenient location at Central Piedmont's Merancas Campus
Why Choose Central Piedmont
When you choose to attend Central Piedmont, you choose to earn a quality education. Our diesel and heavy equipment program:
- is certified by the National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF)
- features state-of-the-art hydraulic, transmission, engine, and electrical labs that maintain the current diagnostic equipment
- is supported by our transport systems business partners, located all over the country, who wish to sponsor our students
- features a work-based learning component that will allow you to gain career experience while earning money (successful graduates of our program are often working before they graduate)
Students who enroll in the Carolina CAT/LiftOne program will also have the opportunity to apply for the Carolina CAT/LiftOne scholarship and will be connected with Carolina CAT/LiftOne industry professionals. You will also have the opportunity to participate in the Skills USA - Automotive student organization.
Real World Education
At Central Piedmont, your education goes beyond what you learn in class. We offer numerous opportunities for you to enhance your learning — and to make friends, network, and pursue your passions — through clubs and organizations, sports, events and activities, leadership opportunities, job experience, volunteer experiences, visual and performing arts, and even international experiences.