Reconsideration Request Appeal

Central Piedmont's Financial Aid office may take your special circumstances into account to make adjustments to your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) for educational expenses and financial aid dependency status, as determined by federal guidelines. In addition, Section 479A(a) allows the financial aid administrator the authority, on a case-by-case basis, to make adjustments to the Cost of Attendance (COA) or the values of the data items required to calculate the expected student or parent contribution (or both) to allow for special circumstances. These adjustments only affect need-based aid.

Reasons for Requesting an Adjustment to Your Estimated Family Contribution 

The Financial Aid office may recalculate you or your parents' Expected Family Contribution for educational expenses if you can document that you (or your parent, if dependent, or spouse, if married) have had a change in financial circumstances due to certain reasons. You may request an adjustment to your Expected Family Contribution for the following conditions. 

Death of a Parent or Your Spouse

Required documentation:

  • a copy of the death certificate
  • W2s and current federal tax returns for student or surviving parent

Loss of Employment (for at Least 3 Months): Parent/Independent Student/Spouse

Required documentation:

  • letter from the previous employer on company letterhead stating the last day of employment and the reason for unemployment
  • earnings up to the last day of employment
  • copy of a current Form 1040 (U.S. Individual Income Tax Return)
  • statement from the unemployment office stating benefits and beginning and ending dates
  • retirement pay statement (if applicable)

Loss of Earnings Due to Disability

Required documentation:

  • letter from a physician stating the nature and date of the disability
  • earnings up to the last day of employment

Loss of Untaxed Income and Benefits

Required documentation: documentation certifying loss of benefits or untaxed income

Divorce or Legal Separation of Parent or Student 

Required documentation:

  • copy of the Divorce Decree and a letter from the attorney stating the date of separation
  • W2s and current federal tax returns for independent student or supporting parent

One-Time Income

Examples: inheritance, IRA distribution, retroactive lump-sum payment

Required documentation:

  • documentation of one-time income, including type and dollar amount
  • statement and receipts showing how funds were spent, invested, or rolled over

Non-Elective Medical or Dental Expenses Not Covered by Insurance

Required documentation:

  • current federal tax return
  • Schedule A itemized deductions
  • receipts of medical and dental payments not covered by insurance if you did not itemize on your Federal tax return. (Highlight your payment portion and provide itemized totals on the unreimbursed amount. The amount needs to be what you have already paid out.)

Elementary and Secondary Education Tuition

Required documentation: copy of receipt from elementary/secondary school for this academic year

Reconsideration Request Appeal Process

  • Submit the Request for Professional Judgement located in Financial Aid Forms.

  • Submit a Verification Worksheet located in Financial Aid Forms — provide a copy of current tax information for both parent and student

  • Review and Determination

     A committee will review your request in the order it was received. The committee’s decision is final. You will be notified via your Central Piedmont email of your professional judgment decision within 3–4 weeks. 

  • Adjustments Timeline

    Adjustments must be reasonable and documented, and Central Piedmont is held accountable for its decisions.

    The Financial Aid office's policy is that we begin to use professional judgment to make adjustments to the Expected Family Contribution beginning July 1 for the upcoming award year. Accuracy in your income projection(s) is very important. For adjustments to income processed after January 1 of the award year, you and your parents will be asked to provide current tax forms and W-2s.