Appeal Financial Aid

Did you lose your financial aid or were told you are not eligible for financial aid? If you feel you lost your aid due to extenuating circumstances, you can make a financial aid appeal.

Types of Financial Aid Appeals

Find out more about the four types of financial aid appeals and how to submit them.

  • Standards of Academic Progress Appeal

    If you have not met Financial Aid’s standards for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), you are considered ineligible for financial aid.  However, you may submit a Standards of Academic Progress Appeal if you have a documented extenuating circumstance that prevented you from meeting the 2.0 GPA and 67% completion rate requirements.

    Learn more about the Standards of Academic Progress Appeal.

  • Unusual Enrollment Appeal 

    If you were denied federal student aid because you did not earn academic credits at any or all of the institutions you attended, you may appeal the decision. Unusual enrollment history is the specific pattern the Department of Education uses to select students who have received a Federal Pell Grant and Federal Direct Student Loans at multiple institutions during the past four academic years. You are required to have earned academic credit during the award year in which you received Pell Grant or Federal Direct Loan funds at each previously attended institution.

    Learn more about the Unusual Enrollment Appeal

  • Reconsideration Request Appeal

    Central Piedmont's Financial Aid office may take your special circumstances into account to make adjustments to your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) for educational expenses, standard budget, and financial aid dependency status, as determined by federal guidelines. The adjustments for a Reconsideration Request Appeal only affect need-based aid. 

    Learn more about the Reconsideration Request Appeal.

  • Dependency Override Appeal 

    A dependency override occurs when a financial aid administrator exercises professional judgment and overrides the Department of Education’s criteria for dependent students. An override may only be granted on a case-by-case basis if you have unusual and exceptional circumstances. These circumstances must show compelling reasons for you to be considered independent rather than dependent.

    Learn more about the Dependency Override Appeal.