4.70 Educational Assistance for Spouses and Dependent Children Policy
Central Piedmont Community College will provide a scholarship, in the form of a tuition discount, for spouses and dependent children of full-time employees when enrolled in curriculum or occupational extension courses at the College. The amount of the discount shall be no more than one-half of the tuition and will be based on in-state tuition rates. The program will be supported with auxiliary funds. Self-supporting classes are not covered by this policy.
A. Requirements for employee eligibility
1. To be eligible, employees must have been employed on a continuous full-time basis with the College for one year prior to the beginning of the term for which spouses and dependents register.
2. Employees who are on leave of absence with pay and those on absence due to an on-the-job injury will retain eligibility under this policy.
3. Employees on leave of absence without pay, except due to an on-the-job injury, are not eligible under this policy.
4. If a full-time employee also qualifies under this policy as an employee’s spouse or dependent child, the tuition waiver under Policy 4.14 for free courses shall take precedence.
5. The employment status of the full-time employee on the first day of classes for each term shall be used to determine eligibility for his or her spouse and/or dependent children. A change in the employment status of the full-time employee after the first day of classes shall not affect eligibility for the student tuition discount for that term.
B. The following are eligible for a student tuition discount under this program:
1. Spouses of full-time employees
2. Dependent children of full-time employees
C. For purposes of this policy, spouse, and dependent children shall be defined as:
1. Spouse: The husband or wife of an employee who enters into a marriage that is legally recognized by the State of North Carolina.
2. Dependent children: The employee’s unmarried natural children, stepchildren and legally adopted or foster children who are 26 years of age or under.
D. Student Tuition Discount
1. The student tuition discount is based on in-state tuition rates.
2. The amount of the student tuition discount for spouses and dependent children of full-time employees shall be no more than one-half of the tuition.
3. The student must pay for special fees and books under this program.
4. Eligible spouses and/or dependent children may enroll in any number of curriculum courses up to and including full-time study.
5. The student tuition discount cannot be used in lieu of other forms of financial aid for which the student may be eligible.
E. Procedures for Obtaining Student Tuition Discount
1. Employees must complete the "Request for Tuition Discount for Spouse and/or Dependent" form (PDF) and submit it to the Department of Human Resources for certification of eligibility.
2. The student tuition discount form must be submitted to the cashier at the time of registration.