Information for Students
Giving back to your community is easier than you think.
If you have a requirement or an optional assignment to do service-learning hours in your class, the following steps will help you. Service-learning hours must be completed at a nonprofit agency. If you are looking to get involved on your own, let us know — we can help.
- Figure out how you will do your service. The community partner listing provides contact information for tons of nonprofits in our area. These are great places for you to complete your service hours. Find an organization that you are interested in and that meets the requirements you have for class. Contact the organization, stating your name and that you are a Central Piedmont service-learning student. Tell the organization the number of hours you need to complete and have your schedule ready to plan your service.
- Complete the service-learning registration form to let us know what class you are in and where you are completing your service. We’ll share this information with you instructor to make sure you’ve picked an approved community partner.
- Track your service using your service-learning time sheet (PDF). When you finish your service, have the supervisor there complete the student evaluation at the bottom of the time sheet. Don’t forget to complete your reflection assignment for class.
- Complete the service-learning evaluation and print out the confirmation page that says you completed it.
- Be sure to turn in all documentation to your instructor. If you are doing service without needing to for class, turn your time sheet in to the Service-Learning coordinator at your campus.
The service-learning record is a document that we can create for you that lists all of the service hours you have turned in to our department. It can include service you have done while enrolled at Central Piedmont with a particular class or on your own. The service-learning record is a great way to make yourself stand out to a four-year university or employer.
Your service record will not be sent automatically — you must request your record. You can request a PDF copy of your service-learning service record from Terry Galante at email@example.com. Please provide your full name and student ID number in your request.
Service-Learning is proud to award civically engaged Central Piedmont students with a pin to wear with their graduation regalia. Pins are awarded to students who complete 30 or more hours of service or community engagement. You can pick up your pin after you apply for graduation and after your completion of 30 or more service hours is verified. To request a service-learning pin, email Terry Galante at firstname.lastname@example.org.