Today, Friday, January 21, will be a remote learning day for Central Piedmont students and a remote work day for most college employees. Please check your college email as soon as possible for complete details.
Mechanical Engineering Technology
The Mechanical Engineering Technology curriculum prepares you for employment as a mechanical engineering technician. Emphasis is placed on the integration of theory and mechanical principles into real applications in product and design and manufacturing.
What You Will Learn
Coursework includes applied math, physics, applied mechanics, manufacturing methods and processes, computer usage, computer aided design, and communication skills. Courses stress critical thinking, planning, and problem solving.
Graduates will find many employment opportunities in the many branches of mechanical engineering technology, such as NASCAR, manufacturing, product design, sales, and service.
Program Educational Outcomes
- graduates will have knowledge and skills to perform at a technician level for regional employers
- graduates will be employable in a field related to their program
- employers will be satisfied with the performance and education of graduates and will be willing to employ future graduates
- graduates will be able to accept increasing levels of responsibility by learning new skills and adapting to changing technology in the workplace
- those graduates choosing to continue their education in a four-year engineering technology program will perform satisfactorily in such programs
Lower-case letters in parentheses, e.g. (b), reference ABET criteria.
- graduates will be proficient in technical drawing skills using CAD software (a)
- graduates will have a working knowledge of manufacturing processes and operations (a)
- graduates will be able to communicate effectively orally and in writing (f)
- graduates will have the ability to function in a team environment (d)
- graduates will be able to solve technical problems using critical reasoning and math skills (b)
- graduates will have demonstrated the ability to design and select machine elements (a, b, e)
- graduates will be able to conduct, analyze, and interpret experiments and apply results to improve processes (a)
- graduates will recognize the need for and have the ability to engage in professional development activities (g)
- graduates will have an understanding of professional and ethical responsibilities, including a respect for diversity (h)
- graduates will have a commitment to quality, timeliness, and continuous improvement (i)
- graduates will be satisfied with the mechanical engineering technology program as a whole, including facilities, faculty, and staff (a)
Why Choose Central Piedmont
The mechanical engineering technology program is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET (abet.org). Our mechanical engineering technology associate degree is transferable to four-year schools in the UNC system offering the Bachelor's of Science in engineering technology. Students will enter the four-year school as a junior. Our learning environments are home to the industry's latest equipment and software, as well as quality instructors who bring real-world experience into the classroom. This powerful combination of traditional teaching and hands-on learning prepares our students for employment in today's 21st century workforce.
Real World Education
At Central Piedmont, your education goes beyond what you learn in class. We offer numerous opportunities for you to enhance your learning — and to make friends, network, and pursue your passions — through clubs and organizations, sports, events and activities, leadership opportunities, job experience, volunteer experiences, visual and performing arts, and even international experiences.
- gain 6400 hours of learning manufacturing skills
- gain 1600 hours of college education
- earn while learning
- get free college and a paycheck
- earn a Journeyman Certificate by the Department of Labor (Commerce)
- experience dual training - academics in college/hands on at company
- earn a scholarship for additional college for bachelor's of arts (differences per company)
- secure guaranteed employment after graduation
For more information about Apprenticeship 2000, contact Eric Easton at email@example.com or 704.330.2722, ext. 3181.