If there’s an emergency on campus or a closing due to inclement weather, wouldn’t you want to know? Get the latest information you need immediately through the Central Piedmont Critical Alert emergency notification text messaging and direct phone call system. Keeping you safe is one of the college’s top priorities. That’s why we’ve upgraded Critical Alert and the emergency notification system tool we use to contact you in the event of a campus emergency. All emergency communications from the college now come from Regroup.com. Regroup is an externally hosted system that allows the college to immediately transmit messages to the phone numbers you’ve provided. In the event of a campus emergency, Central Piedmont will send emergency voice and/or text messages to the phone numbers you’ve listed. If no one answers, Regroup leaves a message in your voicemail box. The system will also send messages to TTY/TDD devices. This new tool is extremely user-friendly and includes a variety of new features. You’re now able to:
- directly update your contact information in the emergency notification system (cpcc.regroup.com)
- control whether or not you receive emergency notifications by joining or opting-out of the system
- customize your notifications
Central Piedmont has taken a multi-layered approach to emergency communications to ensure that the Central Piedmont community is well informed in such an event. Using both internal and external notification methods, we hope to quickly reach each student at least once with critical information.
Central Piedmont students, faculty, and staff are not automatically enrolled to receive emergency text messages and phone calls. If you would like to receive emergency notification, you are required to register your emergency contact information each year. To sign up:
- go to cpcc.regroup.com to enter or update your emergency contact information
- click the 'Email & Phone' tab and enter your contact information
- click the 'Join a group' tab and join the Emergency Notifications group
- it is your responsibility to update the contact information you provide in order to receive these emergency notifications
- if you have any questions regarding the upgraded service, please contact our Information Technology Services Help Desk at 704.330.5000 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- if your cell phone number changes, you will need to update your telephone number by logging into regroup; if your carrier changes but your number stays the same there is no need to re-register
Signing up is free; however, participants should be aware of their individual cell phone plan and the costs involved for text messaging and calls. The numbers you provide will remain confidential; Central Piedmont and Regroup will not release the numbers to third parties. This system will only be used in the event of a true emergency (such as an intruder, natural disaster, severe weather, or campus emergency) and/or a campus closing to send alert messages with pertinent information about the emergency situation and/or campus closure. To ensure that the system is working properly, you may also receive a test message each semester. If you would no longer like to receive critical alerts you can log in to cpcc.regroup.com, go to the 'Group Notifications' tab, and click the "leave group" link for the Emergency Notifications group.
If you don't have a cell phone or do not sign up for this service, emergency messages will continue to be sent via campus e-mail, on the Central Piedmont website, emergency information hotline (704.330.6888), Central Piedmont TV, local media (including radio, TV, and online newspaper). Additional emergency communications are being developed continuously.
Please note that in a crisis situation there are factors beyond our control; therefore, there is no total guarantee that you will receive the notification. Remember this system is only one part of the notification plan the college currently has in place. We encourage you to access all methods of communication provided by the college during a crisis situation. In addition, it is important that you provide as many types of contact information as possible, including a valid e-mail address to the college, and phone numbers to the critical alert emergency notification system for text and direct phone calls. In an emergency, phone lines might be full. For additional information we encourage our faculty, staff, and students to check for updated information at cpcc.edu, the automated emergency phone line (704.330.6888), Central Piedmont TV, and local media outlets (including radio, TV, and newspapers).