Graduate as a NC Scholar of Global Distinction
The NC Scholars of Global Distinction is a partnership between UNC Chapel Hill and North Carolina community colleges, designed to equip students with the global competencies and skills needed for the 21st century workforce.
Participating students will expand their intercultural awareness and understanding of the global relevance of their college studies by completing the program’s requirements. Finally, the Charlotte region is home to more than 950 foreign-owned firms that provide local jobs to more than 65,000 workers. Students who have a NC Scholar of Global Distinction will earn a unique résumé-building credential and leadership skills that will set them apart in today’s competitive job market. This program does transfer to some NC community colleges; the Global Scholars Coordinator can provide information about which community colleges apply.
Immediate benefits to students who complete the program:
- special recognition as a “Scholar of Global Distinction” at graduation
- notation as “graduated with global distinction” on your official transcript
- wear a special cord at graduation
- a greater understanding of the global relevance of your education
Graduating as a NC Scholar of Global Distinction will depend on the rate at which students complete the requirements. Other variables include class selection and availability. Courses may fill up or not be offered in certain semesters.
NC Scholars of Global Distinction Applicant Requirements
- must be current Central Piedmont curriculum (taking courses for college credit) student with a 2.5 GPA or higher
- must complete at least 15 credit hours of eligible courses with a grade of A or B
- International Activities/Events: must participate in eight international activities: speakers, films, performances, etc.
- a student who wishes to attend an off-campus international event for program credit must get prior approval from the Global Scholars Coordinator
- once accepted into the program, students will be provided with materials and instructions for tracking the international events they attend in order to receive credit for the program
- Global Experience: will complete 30 hours of participation in either a study abroad or domestic intercultural experience
- capstone presentation: will give a capstone presentation related to their participation in the NC Scholars of Global Distinction to a committee of Central Piedmont faculty, staff, and administrators
You do not have to be in a certain major or program to participate in the NC Scholars of Global Distinction program. As long as you are a current Central Piedmont college credit-seeking student, you are eligible. Students from a variety of areas, including Nursing, Business, transfer, and Applied Sciences have applied. Get started by completing the NC Scholars of Global Distinction application.