6.40 Possession of Weapons
College premises: any property in use by the College including property that is leased, owned, used for College functions, or used by the College in the conduct of any of its courses.
Weapons: any object, visible or concealed, that is or could be used to threaten, intimidate, injure, or kill another person. Examples of such weapons include, but are not limited to, guns, rifles, pistols, BB guns, stun guns, air rifles, air pistols, other types of firearms, explosives, metallic knuckles, clubs, batons, and knives or other blades.
Employees, students, vendors, visitors, and members of the public who are on the College premises must abide by the provisions set forth in North Carolina General Statute 14-269.2 (PDF).
A. Possession of Weapons
Employees, students, vendors, visitors, and members of the public who are on College premises or attending functions sponsored by the College are strictly prohibited from having weapons in their possession, except as required for preparation of food, instruction, maintenance, or acting in the discharge of official duties.
B. Firearm Possession - Special Cases
- The possession of a firearm that is not used solely for instructional purposes is prohibited on College premises. Possession or use of firearms on College premises for instructional purposes must have the prior approval of the vice president for Learning.
- Duly sworn law enforcement officers, deputy sheriffs, and others specifically authorized by the College or by North Carolina General Statute 14-269.2 (PDF) are excepted from this regulation.
- Except as otherwise provided above, a firearm is permissible on College premises only under all of the following limited circumstances:
- the firearm is a handgun; and
- the individual has a valid concealed handgun permit or is exempt from the law requiring a permit; and
- the handgun remains either in a closed compartment or container within the individual's locked vehicle or a locked container securely affixed to the individual's locked vehicle; and
- the vehicle is only unlocked when the individual is entering or exiting the vehicle; and
- the handgun remains in the closed compartment at all times
Handguns are not permitted to be carried on College premises at any time.
- Employees, students, vendors, visitors, or members of the public who possess weapons in violation of these regulations may be subject to criminal penalties.
- Any employee or student who reasonably suspects these regulations are being or have been violated must immediately report the matter to College Security at extension 6911 or 704.330.6911.
- Any employee who either violates these regulations, or who fails to report reasonable suspicion of any violation, will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
- Any student who either violates these regulations, or who fails to report reasonable suspicion of any violation, will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including being banned from campus, suspension, or expulsion.
Approved by Cabinet on May 1996; August 30, 2004; July 23, 2012; September 16, 2013