Article IV Board Officers, Duties and Responsibilities - Board of Trustees Bylaws
A. Election and Term of Office
- The corporate officers of the Board of Trustees shall be the Chairman, the Vice-Chairman, and the Secretary.
- The Chairman and the Vice-Chairman shall be elected by the Board from among its membership.
- The Secretary, who need not be a member of the Board, shall be elected by the Board.
- Annually, in July of each year, the Nominating Committee will present a slate of officers for Board Chairman, Vice Chairman, and Secretary for the Board’s consideration, acceptance or amendment, and approval. The Chairman, Vice-Chairman, and Secretary of the Board shall be elected for terms of one year, but shall be eligible for annual re-election by the Board.
B. Duties and Responsibilities
1. The Chairman of the Board
The Chairman of the Board shall:
- Preside at all meetings of the Board, and serve as Chairman of the Executive Committee.
- Call all special meetings of the Board.
- Organize the agenda for meetings of the Board with assistance from the President.
- Make trustee assignments to all committees established by the Board, and name the chairman of each committee.
- Serve as an ex-officio voting member of all committees, with authority to delegate this function in whole or in part to the Vice-Chairman of the Board.
- Begin the Board-approved process for the review of the performance of the President and provide leadership for the process.
- Execute Board approved contracts and documents by authority and in the name of the Board.
- Discharge any other functions expressly delegated to the Chairman by the Board, including serving as Board spokesperson, initiating the annual evaluation of the President, and other responsibilities.
2. The Vice-Chairman of the Board
The Vice-Chairman of the Board shall preside in the absence or disability of the Chairman, performing all duties with full authority and discharging any other functions expressly delegated thereto, until the Chairman returns to the chair.
3. The Secretary of the Board
The Secretary of the Board shall:
- Keep an accurate record of the proceedings of the Board and the committees in the form of minutes.
- Have custody of all official records and documents of the Board and the committees, custody of the corporate seal and affix it to official documents with attestation by his or her signature.
- Prepare and maintain an indexed compilation of all bylaws, policies, regulations, and procedures of the Board and the committees, and any amendments thereto. The compendium of these official documents shall be known as The Bylaws, Policies, and Procedures of the Board of Trustees of Central Piedmont Community College. A current copy shall be made available to each Board member and the President.
- Issue notice of all Board and committee meetings and provide the accompanying agenda to each Board member and the College President. Provide public notice of all meetings consistent with N.C.G.S. § 143-318.12.
Amended by the Board of Trustees on February 2, 2006; September 1, 2010; December 15, 2010; January 5, 2011; July 11, 2018; March 6, 2019