Article II Jurisdiction and Membership of the Board of Trustees - Board of Trustees Bylaws
A. Jurisdiction and Responsibility
- The Board of Trustees of Central Piedmont Community College is a body corporate, established by act of the North Carolina General Assembly [N.C.G.S. Chapter 115D], and as such possesses all powers of a body corporate for the purposes created by or that may exist under provisions of law, except those powers retained by the State Board of Community Colleges (the “State Board”) and which may not be delegated as a matter of law.
- The official title of the Board of Trustees, and the name of the corporate institution, shall be "The Board of Trustees of Central Piedmont Community College,” shortened to the "Board of Trustees," "Board," or, with respect to the corporate institution, “Central Piedmont” or the “College."
- The Board of Trustees has responsibility for the mission and development of policy for the College, directed at promoting the sound operations thereof, in accordance with the provisions of law and standards established by the State Board.
- The Board of Trustees shall consist of 12 voting members and the President of the Student Government Association (“SGA”), who shall be an ex-officio non-voting member. Four Board members shall be appointed by the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education; four by the Board of County Commissioners of Mecklenburg County; and four by the Governor of North Carolina.
- Unless otherwise provided by law, Board members shall serve terms of four years. All regular terms shall commence on July 1 and terminate on June 30, except the term of the student member, which shall be concurrent with his/her term as President of the SGA.
- Vacancies which occur for whatever reason shall be filled for the remainder of the unexpired term by the agency or person authorized to appoint the trustee whose term is unexpired and in the manner in which regular selections are made. Should the selection of a Board member not be made by the agency with authority to do so within 60 days after the date on which a vacancy occurs, whether by creation or expiration of a term or for any reason, the Governor shall fill the vacancy by appointment for the remainder of the unexpired term pursuant to N.C.G.S. 115D-12.
- Members of the Board of Trustees may be removed for cause pursuant to N.C.G.S. 115D-19.
- All Board members must abide by the conflict of interest provisions as described in N.C.G.S. 14-234 and the ethics standards contained in N.C.G.S. 163A.
- All Board members shall be residents of Mecklenburg County or counties contiguous thereto, with the exception of the President of the SGA.
- No person who has been employed full-time by the College within the prior five years, and no spouse or child of a person currently employed full-time by the College, shall serve on the Board.