Apply as a Veteran

If you need help with applying, please contact Military Families and Veterans Services (information in Contact sections).

Steps to Apply

Give yourself plenty of time to apply based on when you want to start classes.

  • Apply for Benefits

    Learn how to apply for G.I. and related VA education benefits on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

    Service members must obtain approval from an Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within the military service prior to enrolling in courses at Central Piedmont Community College if you plan to use Tuition Assistance.

    Note: you can apply for Veterans Affairs education benefits and Financial Aid (reference Step 6). 

  • Determine Your State Residency

    Your residency status determines how much tuition you pay.

    Check or establish your state residency.

    Find out more about establishing your residency to determine your tuition.

  • Submit the Application

    Complete the Central Piedmont admissions application

    Choose an Academic and Career Pathway. If you are unsure of the program you want, an Academic Advisor can help you choose a specific program later.

  • Set Up Your Central Piedmont Account and Activate Your Email

    Activate your account. It may take an hour for your login to work once you activate it. For help, contact a Navigator or call the ITS Service Desk at 704-330-5000.

    Sign up for multi-factor authentication with DUO. This is required.

    Your Central Piedmont student email is the official way the college will communicate with you about your classes, events, and more. Once you have a Central Piedmont login, log into your email online.

  • Submit official transcripts to Student Records

    All official high school, college, and/or military transcripts must be submitted. Transcripts and score reports will determine your English and math placement, and many courses have English and math prerequisites. Learn more about submitting all your transcripts from previous institutions.

  • Line Up Money for School

    Apply for financial aid by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Complete the FAFSA even if you are not sure if you are eligible for aid. Central Piedmont can help answer your FAFSA questions; you could be eligible for more than you expect.

    School code: 002915

    Once your financial aid application has been processed, you will be able to check the status of your financial aid reward in MyCollege, as well as any required documents you must submit.

    Central Piedmont offers other ways to help pay for school, including scholarshipsgrants, and Veterans Affairs Education Benefits (such as the GI Bill®). Central Piedmont does not offer direct student loans.

  • Attend Orientation

    New student orientation is required and will help you learn about Central Piedmont. At orientation, you will explore campus programs and support services to help you be a successful student.

  • Meet with a Military Families and Veterans Services Academic Advisor

    Once we have your official transcripts and you have attended orientation, you can meet with a Military Families and Veterans Services advisor to discuss placement, programs and courses, ensure your benefits are used efficiently, and help you register for classes in MyCollege (login required). Learn more about class options and how to read the class schedule.

    Advising is required. To make an appointment with a Military Families and Veterans Services advisor, email Military Families and Veterans Services or call the Central Campus number (information is in the "Contact" section of this page).

  • Request Certification

    Visit Certification Process to learn more about using Veterans Affairs Education Benefits for the first time and requesting recertification.

    You must register for classes before you request certification. 

    After completing the Certification process, return to the Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs Education Benefits offices to discuss payment options in light of your aid and/or benefits.