The quota system is a technology that Central Piedmont ITS has implemented to better manage the growth of network-stored data. You are given one gigabyte of network storage for your U-drive (or 'My Documents' folder). Provisions have been made for increases in individual storage sizes based on need. The college has the quota system in place because, in the absence of some control mechanism, it is possible for individual users to consume all available storage in a manner inconsistent with use of college information technologies policies. The quota system has been implemented to ensure the efficient use of college resources. This system also guarantees that you will be able to store documents and files up to your allocated limit.
To check your storage or current quota size go to My Computer and left click to select your U-Drive. The details section of your My Computer window will show you the total size of your U-Drive and your current free space available. You will also be notified by email as you approach or meet your quota limit.
Your U-drive should be used for college-related documents and files that require portability. Any files considered to be ‘mission critical’ that are not being shared department-wide should be stored there so they can be backed up by ITS.
The college has several storage options available for faculty and staff. These drives are directly accessible from each user’s workstation:
- H-Drive: used for storing departmental data which requires portability, security, and backup
- J-Drive: used for data from departmental applications which requires portability, security, and backup
- Z-Drive: used for storing data which needs to be made available to the college as a whole
- C-Drive: your workstation’s hard disk that can be used for storing data which is not critical for college operations
Some other storage options include the following:
- Public folders: for storing emails to share with other people
- Exchange: for storing college-relevant email threads
Once you reach your quota limit, you will be unable to save additional data to your U-Drive until you do one of three things:
- delete old data you no longer need
- move some data to another, more appropriate location
- request additional storage from ITS
Use the guidelines above to help determine the most appropriate location for any data you wish to move. You will receive a warning message via email as your U-Drive approaches capacity and again when you exceed it.
To request additional storage, submit a request to the ITS Help Desk. Your request should include a justification for the increase and a supervisor’s approval. ITS will make every effort to process requests for additional storage within a 48-hour period.