Sponsored Programs

Sponsored Programs

CPCC accepts tuition assistance (sponsor) agreements in lieu of payment at the time of registration.  See the Sponsor Requirements link at the left for more information.


Fall 2015 Sponsor Letter Due Dates

Depending upon your registration date, sponsor letters are generally due 48 hours before the payment due date. In Pay-As-You-Go, sponsor letters are due at the time of registration.

Open Registration

Fall 2015

November 6, 2015


January 11, 2016


Spring 2016 Payment Due Dates

Registration Date

Due Date

November 6 - November 20

November 23

November 21 - December 04

December 7

December 05 - January 01

January 4

January 02 - January 12

Pay as you go

January 13 - January 22

January 25

After the start of the term, payment is due by the Monday of the week following the registration.

You must have your Student ID number to charge books. (Your Student ID number is NOT your Social Security Number.) 
Lookup my Student ID number


Student Requirements

Checklist of requirements for sponsored and scholarship students

Students need to follow these steps:
(If you are a CMS College Experience Student, click here instead.)

1. Ask your Sponsor to prepare a Sponsor Authorization Letter and submit it to the Sponsored Programs office. We cannot process your registration without the letter from your Sponsor.

  • Sponsor Authorization Letters may be submitted by email or fax. Please allow two business days processing time.
  • Your Sponsor may also be required to submit additional materials to our office; see Sponsor Requirements for more details.
  • It is the student's responsibility to make sure the Sponsor Program Office receives the letter (and any other required materials) from the Sponsor before the payment due date. Sponsored students should plan accordingly and allow two business days processing time.

2. If you are an International Student and your employer is sponsoring you through our Sponsored Programs, you must provide the Sponsor Program office with a copy of your work permit and a recent original pay stub. (CPCC must have these in order to invoice your sponsoring employer.)

3. Register for classes.  We cannot process registrations if we have not received the authorization letter from your sponsor – see Step 1 above.

4. Pay any amounts not covered by your sponsor when you register.

  • If you must pay a portion of your tuition and fees (perhaps your sponsor only authorized a certain amount or you may be taking a class that is not being paid by your sponsor), you may pay the remaining balance online or at any CPCC Cashier office.
  • Books, if authorized, can be charged to your sponsor or scholarship beginning two weeks before the semester starts.
  • Be aware that if your sponsoring agency does not remit payment in full, you will be responsible for all amounts owed.
  • All registrations must be paid or secured by the payment due date.
  • Any registrations not secured by the due date will be automatically dropped from the system.

For questions or additional information, please see our FAQ or contact us.

CMS College Experience Students

 The following applies to current CMS College Experience Students.

  • Your classes will be automatically secured by the College.
  •  If you need to change your class schedule, you must request schedule changes through your high school counselor. CMS College Experience students are not authorized to make changes to their class schedules via the web.
  • CMS College Experience students will not be able to charge their books to CMS.  You will receive a book card to help with purchasing books.  See your CDC for more information.
  • Students in the Learn and Earn and Early College Programs may begin charging at CPCC Barnes and Noble bookstores on August 1, 2011.

Note: If you have already graduated from CMS, you are no longer a CMS College Experience Student.

For questions or additional information, please see our FAQ or Contact Us.


Sponsor Requirements

Sponsor Requirements

Private sponsorships (those not publicly funded) will only be accepted for a minimum of five students or where covered tuition and fees will total at least $3000 for the semester. Sponsors wishing to pay for less than five students or for a total sponsorship of less than $3000 will be required to pay at the time of registration.  To obtain the instate rate for employees of NC companies and the student will need to be employed by the company for at least one year. the student will need to submit to the cashier the two most recent original paystubs, a letter on company letterhead verifying continued employment and intent to pay for his/her tuition/fees, a copy of the employer's most recent NCUI101- Quarterly Tax and Wage Report with employee listed, and a company check for the exact amount of the charges.  Company credit cards may also be used.  Cash and/or personal checks are not valid forms of payment for these types of transactions.


What to Submit
The sponsor must submit authorization on company letterhead that includes the following information:

  • students' names
  • students' CPCC Student ID# or last 4 digits of SSN
  • sponsor’s billing address
  • sponsor’s contact person’s name
  • sponsor’s phone number
  • list of charges sponsor will cover
  • semester sponsor is paying for
  • any limits on amounts allowed

The sponsor must then submit this information to the Sponsored Programs Office by email or fax. If the sponsor is also the students' employer, they must also submit two recent original paystub for each employee/student.

When to Submit
The Sponsored Programs Office must receive these materials no later than two days before the applicable due dates. The students cannot register for sponsored classes if we have not received these materials.

Please allow two business days processing time.

If you are sponsoring the students for more than one semester, please submit a new letter of authorization for each semester.

Invoicing & Payment
Sponsors are invoiced approximately four weeks after the semester begins. Sponsor invoices must be paid with company checks; personal checks are not acceptable. Invoices must be paid by the date indicated.  Please note that student sponsorship is a guarantee of payment for all authorized tuition and fees.  CPCC will reduce the sponsor invoice by the applicable refund amount if a student drops within the refund period (75% of tuition only), but no amounts are credited for classes dropped after the refund period is over.  If  student(s) drop or terminate employment during the semester, the sponsor will remain liable for any charges previously authorized.

In-State Rates
NC Employers and State Agencies may qualify to be invoiced at the in-state rate:

  • To receive the in-state rate, the sponsor must be the student's employer or a public agency (such as Employment Security, Department of Social Services, etc.).
  • Employment must be verifiable with an original paystub showing NC state taxes paid.
  • Volunteers and contract workers are not considered employees for invoicing situations.

Non-profit Entities
If the sponsor is a non-profit entity, they must adhere to the Sponsor Requirements for Non-Profit Entities.

For questions or additional information, please see our FAQ or contact us.

Sponsor Requirements for Non-Profit Entities

The 2003 General Assembly amended G.S. 115D-39 and thus added a new provision affecting tuition classification of persons lawfully admitted to the United States and living in North Carolina.

II. North Carolina Nonprofit Entity Sponsorship
G.S. 115D-39 “(c) In addition, a person sponsored under this subsection who is lawfully admitted to the United States is eligible for the State resident community college tuition rate. For purposes of this subsection, a North Carolina nonprofit entity is a charitable or religious corporation as defined in G.S. 55A-1-40 that is incorporated in North Carolina and that is exempt from taxation under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or a civic league incorporated in North Carolina under Chapter 55A of the General Statutes that is exempt from taxation under section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code. A nonresident of the United States is sponsored by a North Carolina nonprofit entity if the student resides in North Carolina while attending the community college and the North Carolina nonprofit entity provides a signed affidavit to the community college verifying that the entity accepts financial responsibility for the student's tuition and any other required educational fees. Any North Carolina nonprofit entity that sponsors a nonresident of the United States under this subsection may sponsor no more than five nonresident students annually under this subsection. This subsection does not make a person a resident of North Carolina for any other purpose."

Pursuant to this provision, a nonprofit charitable or religious corporation or civil league may sponsor a person lawfully admitted to the United States and living in this state who attends a community college. In this case, the nonprofit charitable or religious corporation will pay the in-state tuition rate on behalf of the student that is a member for one year. The entity must meet the following conditions:

  • Be incorporated under the laws of North Carolina.
  • Submit to the college a copy of the entity’s article of incorporation and the federal tax identification number or federal employer’s identification.
  • Submit a letter on official company letterhead agreeing to pay the student’s tuition and required fees.
  • May not sponsor more than five students per year under this provision.
  • Pay the in-state tuition and required educational fees using a check bearing the printed name of the nonprofit charitable or religious corporation.
  • Submit the original notarized affidavit that will be included in the sponsor's invoice from CPCC Sponsor Programs.

Public School Graduate and Nonprofit Sponsorship Except RE: DACA

Since individuals with DACA classification are not eligible to receive the benefit of in state tuition under federal law and there is not an exception for individuals with DACA classification in N.C.G.S. § 115D-39, individuals with DACA classification are not eligible to obtain the in-state tuition rate under the public school graduate exception or the nonprofit sponsorship exception

TAA/WIA/Vocational Rehabilitation (non-military) Sponsors

For WIA/TAA/Vocational Rehabilitation sponsorship:

It is highly recommended that the sponsor contact the sponsor desk before the classes are registered for so that the classes will not drop for non-payment.

The student registers for classes.

The student requests a registration statement from the Sponsor Desk that is then forwarded to the training coordinator.

After receiving notification from the training coordinator that the student will be covered, the student’s account will be placed on “hold” so that the classes will not drop while we await a voucher.

The training coordinator submits voucher in the amount of the covered courses.

This voucher is applied to the student’s account and, if applicable, the student will purchases books from the CPCC bookstore on their student account.

After the add/drop period has ended and bookstore invoices are received from Barnes and Noble, the sponsor will receive an invoice.