Academic Standards

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students receiving veterans education benefits are required to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress toward a program of study. Educational assistance benefits to veterans and eligible persons will be discontinued once the student ceases to make satisfactory progress toward completion of his/her training. These standards are described in the Veterans Affairs section of the CPCC catalog.

Veterans and other eligible persons are required to seek academic assistance by contacting their instructor, counselor, advisor, or the CPCC’s Veterans Affairs Educations Benefits Office (VAEBO) before academic difficulties place them on ‘Probation’ or ‘Suspension.’

If a veteran affairs student is requesting benefits and is currently on Warning or Suspension, a letter of notification of unsatisfactory progress is sent to the student's CPCC email account and it is the student’s responsibility to comply with the requirements stated. If the student is on Suspension, their eligibility is terminated until they meet the Standards of Academic Progress required to place them back into an eligible status to receive their VA education benefits.

The CPCC VAEBO is required to work with instructors to monitor attendance and/or participation. When a cessation of attendance/participation is identified, it is required that VA be notified so that monetary adjustment can be made, if necessary. An overpayment from VA may result, for which the students will be held responsible.

If a veteran affairs student receives a grade of “F”, they may still receive VA benefits. An exception would be if they did not complete the final exam and did not attend class according to the college policy. If a student fails to attend class and/or take the final exam, the VA Regional Office is notified and the student is classified as having received an overpayment of funds. Any overpayments are the student’s responsibility. VA students may receive benefits to retake a required course if they previously received a failing grade.

Also see Withdrawal for information on how benefits may be affected by withdrawing from a course.

You should not register again for a course for which you have received an "I", but you should follow the arrangements you originally made with the instructor in order to convert the "I" to a grade after the requirements are completed. The course will always remain associated with the original term. Please contact the VAEBO if you receive an Incomplete grade.