South Africa: “Transformative Learning through Community Engagement”
South Africa is considered one of the most diverse countries in the world, with Cape Town being the heart of it all. Students from Central Piedmont and Davidson County Community College are invited to apply for this faculty-led service learning program in partnership with EDU Africa. Much of the program will consist of working alongside members of the Cape Town community in areas such as healthcare, education, business/entrepreneurship, zoo and aquarium science, and social justice. You will explore Cape Town’s city life, be educated on the HIV/AIDS impact, view the hospital where the world’s first successful heart transplant took place, explore the realms where the iconic Nelson Mandela was imprisoned, experience ethnic cuisine, and walk among the penguins of the famous Boulders Beach. You will also have the opportunity to be immersed in African culture, invest in education, and witness diversity first hand.
- June 4 — 21, 2020 (estimated)
- $3,950 (includes $120 Central Piedmont application and insurance fee)
Included in Program Fee
- round trip airfare
- in-country transportation
- most meals
- admissions and entrance fees to museums, exhibits, etc.
- full-time guide
- one tree planted per participant as part of our Greenpop Trees for Travel
Not Included in Program Fee
- passport fees
- Central Piedmont course registration associated with program
- some meals
- optional extra activities
- personal expenses
Participants must register for the summer 2020 term.
Student seeking academic credit for their participation must register for either:
- INT 180 - International Business
- HUM 120 - Cultural Studies
Students not seeking to earn academic credit for their participation must register for:
- TVL 7800 - non curriculum course