Work-Based Learning (Co-op)

Work-Based Learning (Co-op) Eligibility requirements:

1. The student must be enrolled in either the Paralegal Technology AAS Degree Program
(A25380) or the Paralegal Technology Post-Baccalaureate Diploma Program (D25380).

2. The student must have and maintain a 2.5 GPA (Program). (This means that in order to be
eligible for Work-Based Learning courses, a student must have completed at least one semester
in the paralegal program, in order to meet this GPA requirement).

3. The student must have successfully completed (earn a C or better) a minimum of 12 credit hours
of paralegal program course requirements (may include CPCC-approved transfer courses). These
12 hours must include a minimum of two LEX courses. (LEX 110, 140,120, OST 136, 164, and
ENG 111 are preferable courses to complete prior to registering for work-based learning).

4. The student must be registered for a minimum of three credit hours of required coursework which
will be completed concurrently with the work-based learning course. Exceptions to this requirement will
be made for students who have less than three hours of coursework to complete in order to obtain a
paralegal degree. Any other exceptions will be made at the discretion of the Paralegal and Workplace
Learning departments.

5. The student must receive written approval to register for Work-Based Learning courses from both
the Paralegal department and the Workplace Learning department. (Note: This decision to approve a
student for co-op lies within the discretion of the Paralegal Program faculty and the Workplace Learning
department. Therefore even if the above requirements have all been met, a faculty member may still
choose not to approve a student for a Work-Based Learning assignment.

Work-Based Learning Procedural Requirements:

If you have met these eligibility requirements, please contact Mia Mallory about obtaining a position..

Once you have secured a work-based learning position, received written approval from the Paralegal
Program chair, and completed the work-based learning paperwork, you will be ready to register.
Work-Based Learning registrations are co-ordinated through Mia Mallory.

Please understand that most Work-Based Learning  positions arranged for by the school are
unpaid positions.  To learn about those positions, please contact our Workplace Learning coordinator
Mia Mallory. If you have or obtain a paid legal position on your own, you can work with your faculty
advisor and use that job for your co-op.

NOTE: there are often positions for paralegal students posted on the CPCC career services job listings
and on the bulletin board in the paralegal department.  Those employers have shown a special interest
in working with our students and often are willing to allow the job to be used for co-op credit..

Link to the Workplace Learning website.

Students may take a combination of traditional, hybrid, and online courses; however, students are required to take at least ten semester credits or the equivalent of legal specialty courses through traditional classroom instruction. Please note that the Paralegal program currently only offers LEX 110, LEX 170, and LEX 280 online.

Note: Paralegals may not provide legal services directly to the public, except as permitted by law.