Medical Reimbursement Specialist
The Medical Reimbursement Specialist program may be completed in two semesters.
This course is patterned on requirements of the American Academy of Professional Coders (www.aapc.com), enabling participants to sit for certifying examinations. This program is recognized by local employers.
The Medical Reimbursement Specialist program prepares individuals, through classroom instruction, to obtain employment in facilities providing outpatient services. Students will be instructed in basic outpatient coding, Medicare, Medicaid, insurance terminology, and billing and reimbursement skills. Students will receive a certificate of completion upon satisfactorily completing all program requirements. These students will be eligible to sit for the CPC exam.
(Note: Examinees lacking two years of coding work experience may sit for the examination. Those who pass the examination will be awarded the “CPC Apprentice”, “CPC-H Apprentice”, or “CPC-P Apprentice” designation and will maintain such until the required coding work experience has been met.)
Program Pre-requisites: (can be taken concurrently)
- HEA 7254 (Exploring Medical Language)
- HEA 7625 (Medical Keyboarding) or Demonstrate the ability to type 35 wpm or more by following these instructions:
Please be advised that you must have a CPCC student ID number in order to take this test and to have the results counted. If you do not have one or have forgotten it, please call Corporate and Continuing Education Customer Service at (704) 330-4223 to obtain an ID number. Once that is done, please read and follow these directions carefully:
1) Please visit http://cpcc-healthcare.assesstyping.com/
2) Access code: CPCC50
3) Please fill in all boxes.
You are allotted 2 attempts to test out. You must have an accuracy score of at least 95%. If you are not successful, then you will be required to take Medical Keyboarding or wait to test out for the following semester. You will be notified by the department via email regarding your results within 48 hours of taking the test. Your results will be good for one (1) calendar year. Please make sure that your computer is running the most current version of JAVA. You may also find it helpful to clean out your cookies under Internet Options.
It is strongly recommended that students take
Anatomy and Physiology for CCE Students (HEA 7265)
PRIOR to taking Medical Reimbursement Specialist.
Anatomy and Physiology for CCE Students
is NOT a course prerequisite for
Medical Reimbursement Specialist.
Program Requirements: (Granted Permission Required)
- HEA 7270 (Medical Reimbursement Specialist)
- HEA 7313 (Advanced Coding) OPTIONAL
NOTE: Permission will be granted when all pre-requisites have been satisfied. Pre-requisite courses CAN NOT be taken concurrently with Program required courses.
To register online click here
Cost: $180 per course (not including books and other College fees)
Withdrawal Policy (Occupational Extension Classes):
- All tuition will be systematically refunded by the College for any class canceled by the College.
- 100% of tuition paid will be refunded by the College if the student officially withdraws from the class prior to the first day of the class.
- 75% of tuition paid will be refunded by the College if the student officially withdraws from the class on or after the first day of the class through the 10% point of the class.
If you have questions, feel free to email us at Alliedhealth@cpcc.edu