Fulbright S-I-R strengthens international presence at CPCC
Since arriving at Central Piedmont Community College (CPCC) in fall 2011, Dr. Salomão Alencar De Farias, the College’s 2011-2012 Fulbright Scholar-in-Residence (S-I-R), has been participating in a variety of campus and community activities to strengthen the international perspectives of both CPCC and Mecklenburg County.
The Fulbright S-I-R program is a national initiative that helps higher education institutions advance their international presence by hosting a non-U.S. scholar. Fulbright S-I-Rs often assist their host college with curriculm development; diversifing the educational experiences of students, faculty and community members; teaching classes; and more.
Dr. De Farias is CPCC’s first Fulbright S-I-R. He took a leave of absence from the Federal University of Pernambuco (UFPE) in Recife, Brazil, to join CPCC’s International Business Department as an instructor and resource. He has been involved in a number of projects since becoming a CPCC family member, including:
- visiting local schools to discuss Brazilian culture/business.
- leading CPCC classes in International Business and International Marketing.
- creating digital lectures that discuss global education.
- working in conjunction with the International Business Department to create a study abroad program to Brazil (scheduled to launch in 2013).
- partnering with CPCC Student Life to hold a film screening on “Waste Land,” a Brazilian documentary that analyzes the country’s social, cultural and economic situation.
- presenting “Creating Nomads in a Globalized World: A Perspective on the Fulbright S-I-R Program from the Scholar and the Host College” at the Community Colleges for International Development Conference in New Orleans, La.
“Salomão has been an outstanding addition to our college and to Mecklenburg County,” said Nadine Russell, program chair of International Learning at CPCC. “In the classroom, he has helped prepare our students for a more globally-diverse world; and in the community, he has shared his unique international perspective with local leaders, schools and service organizations to broaden their views and opinions.
Dr. De Farias holds a master’s degree in Business Administration from the Federal University of Paraiba and a doctorate in Business Administration from the University of Sao Paulo. He is a member of the Brazilian Academy of Management and the Association of Consumer Research and has served as a visiting scholar with Brazilian government grants at Auburn University and Georgia State University.
At the end of his Fulbright S-I-R in May 2012, Dr. De Farias will return to UFPE where he will resume his full-time marketing professor position, teaching the university’s students Marketing Management, International Marketing, International Business, Consumer Behavior and Service Marketing.
To learn more about the Fulbright S-I-R program, please visit http://www.cies.org/sir/. To learn more about International Business programs at CPCC, go to https://www.cpcc.edu/business_accounting/international-business.