Academic Standards

Satisfactory Academic Progress


To be eligible for financial aid, students must meet the following minimum guidelines:

Qualitative Standard— Maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.0 each semester as computed by Financial Aid’s academic standards-this may be different than your transcript GPA.

Quantitative Standard—Complete a minimum of 67% of cumulative credit hours attempted each semester (if the student has attempted 50 credit hours, the student must earn credit for at least 33 hours). The number of hours attempted is defined as the total cumulative number of credit hours for which the student enrolled prior to the general 10% point of each term. The total number of credit hours earned is defined as the total cumulative number of credit hours from each term at CPCC for which the student received a passing grade as noted on the student's academic transcript.

Maximum Time Frame— Complete program of study in a timeframe not to exceed 150 percent of the published length of the program for full-time students. This will be measured in credit hours (if the academic program length requires 60 credit hours, maximum timeframe cannot exceed 90 hours attempted). Transfer credit hours accepted from other institutions and evaluated in the student's current program of study are included in the calculation of maximum time frame.back to top


The Financial Aid office will monitor satisfactory academic progress for all students receiving or applying for federal or state aid to ensure that they are making progress toward program completion. All programs will be reviewed for satisfactory academic progress at the end of each semester.

In order to measure a student's satisfactory progress toward a degree, diploma, or certificate requirements, the student's total academic record at Central Piedmont Community College will be evaluated whether or not the student received financial aid for the entire time of enrollment.

Special Notes:

Evaluation Period: Student compliance with Financial Academic Satisfactory Academic Progress policy requirements will be monitored at the end of each semester.

Cumulative Credit Hours Attempted—Cumulative credit hours attempted are defined as all credit hours attempted at CPCC, and all credit hours transferred from other institutions. Attempted credits include courses with grades of "A" through "F", "W", "I/A", "I/B", "I/C", "I/D", "I/F", "I", “P”, or “R”.

Repeated Courses—will be counted as hours attempted and also toward maximum credits allowable for each type of program for financial aid.

Cumulative Credit Hours Completed—Credit hours successfully completed are defined as grades "A" through "D", "I/A", "I/B", "I/C", or "I/D". Credit hours not successfully completed are defined as "F", "I/F", “R”, or "W".

Audited Courses—Credit hours taken for a grade of "audit" (AU) do not apply toward an associate degree, diploma, or certificate program. Therefore, credit hours with this designation are not included in determining enrollment status for financial aid or satisfactory academic progress.

Students who change their grade/course type to "audit" (AU) after the disbursement of financial aid will be reviewed for an enrollment status change. This change may result in a reduction of financial aid eligibility and a balance owed to the college.

Incomplete Grades—Courses with grades of "I" (Incomplete) will be considered as credit hours attempted and not completed. Student who have made arrangements with the instructor to complete required course work are not required to re-register for the same class during a subsequent semester to complete the work. Any course carried forward to the next semester for completion will not be counted as part of the new semester enrollment status. If the "incomplete" grade resulted in a student being placed on financial aid suspension, once completed, the student may appeal for a re-evaluation of Satisfactory Academic Progress by submitting the Satisfactory Academic Progress appeal form to the Financial Aid office at CPCC. Should the grade become final before the review, the actual grade, credits attempted, and credits earned will be used to determine if the student is making satisfactory progress.

Pass – A grade of “P” (Pass) is used for successful completion of DMA or DRE courses.  A grade of “P” is included in a student’s SAP calculation as attempted and completed credit hours with an assigned GPA of 4.0.

Fail - A grade of “R” (Fail) is used for unsuccessful completion of DMA or DRE courses.  A grade of “R” is included in a student’s SAP calculation as attempted and not completed credit hours with an assigned GPA of 0.0.

Course Withdrawals – A grade of “W” (Withdrawal) is the grade given when a student registers for a class and attends through the census date and then withdraws from the class officially prior to the 35% point.  A grade of “W” may also be assigned grades if a student stops attending or has special circumstances approved by the instructor.  Students who withdraw from classes officially or unofficially should understand how withdrawals affect their eligibility for financial aid as determined by this Satisfactory Academic Progress procedure. A “W” will count as attempted, not completed, and will not count in the Academic GPA calculation, but will count in the Financial Aid GPA calculation with an assigned GPA of 0.0. Financial Aid recipients should discuss their possibility of withdrawing with a Financial Aid Officer before doing so.

Withdrawn Never Attended – A grade of “WN” is an assigned grade given when a student registers for a class and does not ever attend the course prior to the census date.  “WN” grades are not included in the SAP calculation as attempted credit hours or assigned any type of GPA.

Dropping Classes - Your final eligibility for aid will be based on the number of hours for which you are enrolled at the 10% point of the semester. If you register and then drop class(es) prior to that date, your eligibility for aid will be RECALCULATED on your remaining hours as of the 10% point of the semester. Students who receive a financial aid payment based on more hours than those remaining as of the 10% point of the semester may be responsible for repaying a portion of any financial aid received. Drops are not included in the SAP calculation as attempted credit hours or assigned any type of GPA.

Cumulative Grade Point Average - A student's cumulative grade point average must meet the minimum standards of the institution according to their degree intentions. The minimum cumulative grade point average for financial aid is 2.0.

Pace: A student is not eligible for financial aid if it is determined the student will not complete his/her program of study within the 150% timeframe. A student's pace is determined by dividing the number of cumulative hours completed by the number of cumulative hours attempted.

Reducing enrollment during any semester can create serious consequences for financial aid recipients:

  • Satisfactory Academic Progress may be affected;
    • In cases of complete withdrawals, students may be required to repay a percentage of financial aid received for that semester. (See Return of Title IV Funds).

Return of Title IV Funds

The Higher Education Amendments of 1998 changed the formula for calculating the amount of aid a student and school can retain when the student totally withdraws from all classes. Students who withdraw from all classes prior to completing 60% of the semester will have their eligibility for aid recalculated based on the percent of the semester completed. For example, a student who withdraws completing only 30% of the term will have "earned" only 30% of any Title IV aid received. The remaining 70% must be returned by the school and/or the student. The Financial Aid Office encourages you to read a complete copy of this policy carefully. If you are thinking about withdrawing from all classes PRIOR to completing 60% of the semester, you should contact the Financial Aid Office to see how your withdrawal will affect your financial aid. For more information on the Return to Title IV policy, visit

Total Withdrawal from School

If you register and then totally withdraw from all classes, your eligibility for aid will be RECALCULATED based on the number of days you attended class. If you withdraw on or after the first class day, you may have to repay a portion of any cash financial aid received. See Return of Title IV Funds below. If you totally withdraw, you should consult the definition of Satisfactory Academic Progress to determine if your withdrawal will affect your eligibility for future aid.

Developmental Studies Standards of Progress—Financial aid recipients may take a maximum of 30 credit hours in developmental coursework. Developmental courses (designated by course numbers below 100, DMA 060) are included in the calculation of satisfactory academic progress, but they will not count toward the time frame. Students enrolled in developmental courses must receive grades of A, B, C, or P (in the case of DMA or DRE courses) to remain in good standing.

English as a Foreign Language (EFL)— Students may receive FSA program funds for EFL courses.  These courses are also not considered developmental.  EFL credit hours will be included in all SAP calculations and will also be counted toward Pell Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU).

Program of Study – According to the U.S. Department of Education, if a student is enrolled in courses that do not count toward his/her degree they cannot be used to determine enrollment status unless they are courses that a student is required to take based on placement testing?.  This means that courses taken that do not fulfill a requirement on the program evaluation will not be covered by Title IV funds.  They will however be counted as attempted credit hours

Repeated Courses - A new federal regulation limits the number of times a student may repeat a course and receive financial aid for that course.

  • A student may receive aid when repeating a course that was previously failed (received a 0.0 or No pass), regardless of the number of times the course was attempted and failed. However, according to the college's policy on Excessive I's, F's, and/or W's a student will not be allowed to register for a course in which the student has received three I's, F's, and/or W's until receiving permission from the division that offers the course
  • A student may receive aid to repeat a previously passed course one additional time.
  • Once a student has completed any course twice with a passing grade, he/she is no longer eligible to receive aid for that course.
  • If a student retakes a course that is not aid eligible, a recalculation of aid is done to exclude the credits for the repeated course.
  • This rule applies whether or not the student received aid for earlier enrollments in the course.

Transfer credits-
All courses transferred from other colleges and counted toward current program requirements are included when calculating completion rate. The transfer credits will be included as attempted and completed hours

Transfer students—All transfer students will be considered to be making satisfactory progress based on the number of credit hours accepted toward their current program of study.

Change of Majors—Students who change their major are still responsible for maintaining satisfactory academic progress in accordance with the procedures as outlined. A review of satisfactory academic progress will be based on the student's current active and primary program of study. A student changing from an associate program into a diploma or certificate program may lose federal and state eligibility immediately upon making the change. Academic progress is calculated on the student’s active program.

Summer Session—Credit hours attempted and earned during the summer session are included in the calculation of Satisfactory Academic Progress. Full-time status is the same for summer semester as it is for the fall and spring semesters (12 credit hours).


back to top

Financial Aid Statuses

Satisfactory is the status assigned to new students or returning students who meet the cumulative and semester 2.0 GPA and the 67% completion rate requirements based on calculations at the end of the term.

Students who do not meet the cumulative 2.0 GPA and 67% completion rate minimum each term will be placed on financial aid WARNING. Students who do not meet the minimum requirements their next term of attendance, will not be eligible for financial aid.  .  A student will be granted only one term to regain satisfactory academic progress. The term is known as the "Warning" term. Financial aid may be received during this Warning term.

WG –Warning due to grade point average

WP - Warning due to pass rate

WB - Warning due to grade point average and pass rate

If you are not meeting SAP requirements for a second consecutive term, you will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension. If the student is able to regain satisfactory academic progress with the courses completed successfully during his/her probationary term, the probation is lifted. If the student does not regain satisfactory academic progress, the student is placed on "SUSPENSION" and is no longer eligible for financial aid at CPCC until their cumulative progress is again satisfactory. You can file an appeal if extenuating circumstances beyond your control kept you from meeting SAP requirements.

Maximum Time Frame
Students are required to complete their program of study in a time frame not to exceed 150 percent of the published length of the program.  This will be measured in credit hours.  Transfer credit hours accepted from other institutions and evaluated in the student’s current program of study are included in the calculation of maximum time frame.

If a student begins their academic career in a longer program (i.e. an associate or diploma program) and then changes to a shorter program (i.e. certificate program), s/he may automatically be put on Maximum Time Frame.  For example, a student completes 35 credit hours under an associate’s program that requires 60 credit hours to complete.  The student changes to an 18 credit hour certificate program.  Under the associate program, 150% is 90 credit hours, but 150% for an 18 hour certificate is 27 credit hours (18 x 150%).  Because the student has already completed 35 credit hours and the maximum time frame for the certificate program is only 27, the student has exceeded the 150% time frame.   Once a student reaches the 150% limit, his/her SAP status will update to Maximum Time Frame and the student will no longer be eligible for state or federal financial aid.

Students are required to
adhere to the Academic Plan he/she was given when their appeal was approved.  If the student does not, s/he will be placed on Financial Aid Termination. The student will lose financial aid eligibility and no other appeal will be accepted until the minimum SAP requirements are met.

Probation on an Appeal
When a student has been reinstated by an approved appeal by the Financial Aid Appeals Committee, the student will be placed on Probation on Appeal and assigned an Academic Plan. The student can receive financial aid for the term he/she is on probation. If the student does not adhere to the Academic Plan he/she will be placed on Financial Aid Termination. The student will lose financial aid eligibility and no other appeal will be accepted until the minimum SAP requirements are met.

back to top

Evaluations and Notifications

Satisfactory academic progress is evaluated at the end of each term (after grades are posted). Students enrolled in a certificate program are evaluated at the end of each term.  Students who fail to meet the minimum SAP standards will be notified electronically via their CPCC email account.

The SAP policy applies to financial aid eligibility; it does not impact registration or academic standing.  It is separate from the academic standard required by the College for continued enrollment. Students failing SAP are ineligible for financial aid for subsequent enrollment periods. You are permitted to attend CPCC at your own expense until you demonstrate academic progress toward your degree.

Appeal Process

Students not meeting the minimum SAP requirements have the right to petition the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeals Committee to have their aid reinstated when extenuating circumstances exist. Circumstances which are considered extenuating are those which are unusual or unforeseen at the beginning of the enrollment period such as death of a relative, injury, illness, family or financial difficulties.  An appeal may not be based upon the need for assistance or lack of knowledge that assistance was in jeopardy. The committee will review the appeal and notify the student of their decision in writing to your CPCC email account.

  • Appeals must be in writing and include an explanation of why you were unable to meet the SAP requirements, and the circumstances that have changed which would allow you to make SAP at the next evaluation.
  • Your written statement must include a description of the problem/incident indicating dates and time periods involved, as well as the impact of your academic performance.
  • You must also submit any supporting documentation.  Documentation must include, but is not limited to, divorce decrees, death certificates, and letters from doctors, counselors, advisors, etc.  Written statements from a professional should reference your name, diagnosis, dates of treatment and length that situation has or was occurring.
  • Attach documentation supporting your appeal.  Include any statements (on company letterhead) from third party persons (e.g. clergy, employers, medical professionals, etc.) who can verify your extenuating circumstances.   Report of incident/s, such as a police report, insurance damage report, and bill/s for services related to emergency, etc.
  • Complete the educational plan section of the appeal form indicating that you will complete only classes that are required to complete your degree.

The educational plan will demonstrate that, if followed, you will be meeting SAP standards at the next evaluation or by a specified point in time. This plan must be presented with your appeal letter. To view the courses required for your current degree program login into your MyCollege and view your Program Evaluation. If the “Active Programs” showing on the Program Evaluation option screen is/are incorrect, please make an appointment with an Academic Advisor in order to request a program change prior to turning in your appeal.

Written appeals must be filed within 30 days of notification or prior to the last day of add/drop for the semester in which aid is desired, whichever comes first.

Students should not assume that a SAP appeal will be approved and must accept responsibility for paying tuition and fees if the appeal is denied. SAP Appeals Committee decisions are final, and may not be appealed to another source. Students may only submit two appeals.

Financial Aid Probation and Reinstatement

When an appeal is approved, eligibility for aid will be reinstated on a probationary basis for one semester.  Your academic performance in that probationary semester will be reviewed to determine the status for the upcoming semester.

  • If the requirements for satisfactory academic progress are now being met, your eligibility will be reinstated.
  • If you are successfully following an academic plan, but still not meeting the SAP standards, you will be permitted aid for the upcoming semester.   As long as a student continues to meet the requirements of the academic plan at each scheduled review period, the student is eligible to receive financial aid.
  • If it becomes mathematically impossible to meet degree completion and/or grade point requirements prior to the maximum time frame, the student immediately becomes ineligible for future financial aid.

It is the student's responsibility to be aware of his/her Satisfactory Academic Progress for financial aid eligibility. Each student is notified, via their CPCC email account when placed on Warning or Suspension. If the student takes the necessary action that brings the student in compliance with the qualitative and quantitative components of the Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards, the Federal Pell Grant and other types of financial assistance (depending on availability of funds) are reinstated at the beginning of the next term of attendance, if otherwise eligible. When approved by the Financial Aid Appeals Committee or after one semester of satisfactory progress, the student’s status upon reinstatement will be Probation on an Appeal.

Academic Plan

Academic Plans will only be assigned if you have an approved SAP Appeal. The Academic Plan is designed to ensure that you will be meeting SAP by a specific point in time. CPCC’s Academic Plan requires:

  • Maintain a 2.0 GPA or better each term
  • Complete 100% of enrolled coursework each term
  • Enroll only in the specific courses required for your current degree program and assigned as part of your Academic Plan each term.


What You Need To Do To Reach Satisfactory Academic Progress Quantitatively And/Or Qualitatively

Quantitative :  0.67 x total attempted hours minus total completed hours divided by .33 equals the number of credit hours needed to reach 67%

Qualitative:  2 x total GPA credits - total GPA grade points equals the number of credit hours completed with a "B" to reach 2.00 cumulative GPA

back to to

Professional Judgment

Central Piedmont Community College’s Financial Aid Office of Student Financial may take into account a student’s special circumstances to make adjustments to his or her expected family contribution for educational expenses, standard budget, and/or financial aid dependency status, as determined by federal guidelines. These adjustments only affect need-based aid. Adjustments must be reasonable and documented, and the institution is held accountable for decisions made. Indicated below are the guidelines for professional judgment. Students requesting consideration for any of these categories of adjustment should complete and sign the Request for Professional Judgment Form, and submit it along with the required documentation to the Financial Aid Office.   A committee will review requests. The committee’s decision is final. Students will be notified in an email of the committee’s decision. Students submitting requests for professional judgments should allow 3-4 weeks for a response.

Adjustments to Estimated Family Contributions

The Financial Aid Office  may recalculate a student/parent’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC) for educational expenses if the student can document that he or she (or parent, if dependent or spouse, if married), has had a change in financial circumstances due to the reasons listed below:

The following are conditions/reasons for which a student may request an adjustment to their EFC.  The documents required that are listed below may not be the only documents needed once the PJ has been reviewed.

1. Death of a parent or the independent student's spouse.

Required Documents:

  • A copy of the death certificate
  • W2’s and current federal tax returns for student or for surviving parent.

2. Loss of employment by independent student/spouse/parent (for at least 3 months).

Required Documents:

  • Letter from previous employer on company letterhead stating:
    • Last day of employment and reason for unemployment
    • Earnings up to the last day of employment
  • Copy of current 1040
  • Statement from Unemployment Office stating benefits and beginning and ending dates
  • Retirement pay statement if applicable

3. Loss of earnings due to disability.

Required Documents:

  • A letter from physician stating the nature and date of the disability
  • Earnings up to the last day of employment

4. Loss of untaxed income and benefits.

Required Documents:

  • Documentation certifying loss of benefits or untaxed income.

5. Divorce or legal separation of parent or student

Required Documents:

  • A copy or the Divorce Decree and/or a letter from the attorney stating date of separation.
  • W2’s and current federal tax returns for Independent student or supporting parent.

6. One time income (inheritance, IRA distribution, retroactive lump-sum payment, etc.)

Required Documents:

  • Documentation of one-time income including type and dollar amount.
  • Statement and receipts showing how funds were spent, invested, or rolled over.

7. Non-elective medical or dental expense not covered by insurance.

Required documents:

  • Current federal tax return, Schedule A-Itemized Deductions AND/OR
  • Receipts of medical and dental payments NOT covered by insurance if you did not itemize on your Federal tax return. (Highlight your portion of payment & provide itemized totals on unreimbursed amount.)  This needs to be the amount that you have already paid out.

9. Elementary and secondary education tuition

  • Copy of receipt from elementary/secondary school for this academic year.

ALL Professional Judgments will require a
Verification Worksheet to be completed and a copy of current tax information for both parent and/or student. Worksheets can be found under out forms page at

It is the policy of the Financial Aid Office that we begin to use PJ to make adjustments to the EFC beginning July 1st for the upcoming award year. Accuracy in your income projection(s) is very important. It is out policy to not process future adjustments for any student who underestimates his/her household income by more than 15% for an adjustment calculation. For adjustments to income processed after January 1 of the award year, students and parents will be asked to provide current tax forms and W-2s.

Procedure to follow:

  • Turn documentation in to the Office of Student Financial Assistance.  A financial aid coordinator will review all documentation on a case-by-case basis.
  • If it is determined that you may benefit from an adjustment, corrections to your FAFSA will be made electronically by the Financial Aid Office  and sent to the Federal Processor. Once the correction is made by the U. S. Department of Education, the Financial Aid Office will notify you by email of the change in your expected family contribution and new award amount(s).  You will also be notified by email if there is no change to your EFC or financial aid awards.

Processing time can be up to two weeks, or longer during peak times in the year. Professional Judgments are processed in date order.

back to top

Dependency Override Appeal

Federal financial aid regulations assume that a student’s family has primary responsibility for meeting educational costs.  If you are considered a dependent student according to the federal financial aid definition, your aid eligibility is determined by using parent income and asset information in addition to your information.

What makes a student Dependent or Independent?

Your student dependency status is determined by the U.S. Department of Education based on your responses to specific questions on the FAFSA.  For financial aid purposes, federal regulations have defined an independent student as one who meets AT LEAST ONE of the following conditions:

  • Born before January 1, 1991;
  • Married as of the date FAFSA signed;
  • Have children who receive more than half their support from the student, OR has legal dependents, other than a spouse or children, who live with student and who receive more than half their support from the student;
  • Attending Graduate level program of study during the 2016-17 academic year;
  • Veteran of U.S. Armed Forces (or will be a veteran as of June 30, 2016), or have attended a service academy and were released under a condition other than dishonorable;
  • Currently serving on active duty in U.S. Armed Forces (other than for training);
  • Emancipated Minor or in Legal Guardianship as determined by the court in her/his state of legal residence;
  • Orphan, Ward of Court, Foster Care (after age 13);
  • A self-supporting unaccompanied youth who is homeless or at risk of homelessness (as certified by governmental or school agency).

A student who does not meet ANY of the above conditions is classified as a Dependent student.

What is a Dependency Override?

A dependency override occurs when a financial aid administrator exercises professional judgment and overrides the Department of Education’s criteria for dependent students.  An override may only be granted on a case-by-case basis for students with unusual & exceptional circumstances.  These circumstances must show compelling reason for a student to be considered independent rather than dependent.    In addition, dependency overrides need to be approved each year.

What conditions COULD warrant a Dependency Override?

The following are some examples of conditions that could warrant a dependency override:

  • Documented abandonment
  • Parental drug abuse
  • Parental mental incapacity
  • Physical or emotional abuse
  • Severe estrangement from parents
  • Parental Incarceration

What conditions DO NOT warrant a Dependency Override?

By Federal Law, the following conditions DO NOT warrant a dependency override:

  • Parents refuse to provide information on the FAFSA application or for verification
  • Parents do not claim student as a dependent for income tax purposes
  • Parents unwilling or unable to contribute to student’s education
  • Student demonstrates self-sufficiency
  • Student reluctant to request the income information from parents
  • Student does not wish to communicate with parents

Financial Aid Policy at CPCC  requires a student seeking a dependency override to complete the CPCC Dependency Override Appeal.  Decisions made at other institutions are not accepted.

You should complete the Dependency Override form if you are considered a dependent student for federal financial aid and believe you have compelling extenuating circumstances which should allow you to be considered an independent student.  Return the completed form with the required documentation to the Office of Financial Aid.  We understand the sensitive nature of these circumstances; all documentation received by our office will be kept confidential.

Please note the following:

  • Complete the 2016-17 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online prior to completing and submitting the Dependency Override Appeal.
  • Financial Aid policy at CPCC requires a student seeking a dependency override to complete the CPCC Dependency Override Appeal.  Decisions made at other institutions are not accepted.
  • When submitting your appeal, you will be required to meet with a financial aid staff member.
  • The determination of whether or not to approve a dependency override is made by the Office of Financial Aid at CPCC– not the U.S. Department of Education.  All decisions made by the Office of Financial Aid on dependency overrides are FINAL and not appealable.

Dependency Override Appeal Process:

  1. Personal Statement

On a separate sheet of paper, tell us in your own words why you are requesting a dependency override.  Be sure to describe the following:  (1) The nature of your relationship with your parents; (2) the location of both parents and when you last had contact with them; (3) why you cannot obtain information and/or support from your parents.  Sign and date your statement.

  1. Third-Party Statements

Provide at least two letters from third-party adult individuals who personally have knowledge of your situation and who can verify your circumstances.  At least one letter (on letterhead) must be from a guidance counselor, physician, social worker, clergy person, or another individual who has been involved in the circumstances in a professional capacity.  All letters must include details as to how the person knows you, how long they have known you, and how they have been involved and/or have first-hand knowledge of your situation.

The individuals submitting letters cannot be related to one another, nor can they reside at the same address.  A telephone number and address where the individual can be reached for follow up questions must be included.

  1. Dependency Override Appeal Form

Complete all sections of the appeal form.

  1. Supporting Documentation

In addition to your personal statement, third-party statements, and the appeal form, you must provide the following documents with your appeal:

    • Copy of 2015 Federal Tax Return Transcripts.  If you are not required to file, be sure to complete Section 4 of the appeal form and attach copies of your W-2’s or 1099 forms.
    • Complete a Dependent and Independent Worksheet.
    • Copy of your current lease or rental agreement.  If you do not have either, attach a signed statement from your current landlord verifying your tenancy.
    • Documentation needed in the determination of dependency status.
  1. Meet with a member of Financial Aid staff
  2. Once you have completed the appeal form and gathered your statements and supporting documentation, contact CPCC’s Office of Financial Aid to make arrangements to meet with a Financial Aid Counselor and to submit your appeal in-person.

    After Filing the Dependency Override Appeal:

    If your appeal is approved

    We will notify you via email, and will submit the override to the Central Processing System.  Your financial aid will then be packaged based on independent status.

    If your appeal is not approved

    We will notify you via email of our decision.  In order to receive a financial aid package, you MUST provide parent financial information and signatures on your FAFSA, using the FAFSA website.

    All decisions on dependency overrides are made based on Professional Judgment by the Office of Financial Aid at CPCC.  All decisions on appeals are FINAL.

    back to top