Since most veterans receive “veteran” educational benefits, our Post would like to assist the children of veterans who do not receive any such funds. Our goal is to make funds available to assist Veteran’s Children in their pursuit of continuing education. The American Legion Post feels that one of its main roles in the Veterans life is to provide support not only while on active duty but after returning to civilian life. Some of that support is to his family. Post 287’s desire it to “give back” in some way a thank-you for your service to our country by assisting his children.
Typically the American Legion Post will provide two $500.00 scholarships to the selected children of veterans among the ones that apply. The scholarship is paid to the individuals account at Central Piedmont and can be used for registration fees or for books following the application and selection. These scholarships are provided at the beginning of the fall semester. The scholarship will be awarded at the September Meeting of the Post.
- The American Legion Post 287 Scholarship is available for the children of both Active Duty and Honorable Discharged Veterans enrolling for classes at Central Piedmont Community College.
- The individual must be registered as a full time student and carry a full load during the fall semester.
- The individual may reapply for the scholarship for the next fall semester the following year.
- Individual interested in the American Legion Post 287 Central Piedmont Scholarship should obtain an information package and application from the financial aid office at Central Piedmont.
- The individual should complete the application along with a letter as requested in the application and then mail the application and letter to the Post Adjutant at the address provided.
- The American Legion Post 287 Scholarship Committee will collect all applications during the months of July and August.
- The Committee will review the applications and letters.
- Selections will be based on the application and the letter. Judging will be performed independently by members of the committee who will meet and by consensus select the recipients.
- Recipients will be notified by phone or mail as to being selected. Individuals who are not selected are encouraged to resubmit the following summer.
Please fill out the Post 287 Scholarship application form (PDF) and mail back to the following address along with your letter and registration material:
American Legion Post 287
4709 Gaynelle Drive
Charlotte, North Carolina 28215