Moodle 2.8 Updates
Moodle is being upgraded to version 2.8 on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 7:00am - Thursday, July 28, 2016 7:00am. Moodle courses will be unavailable during these dates. The new version includes several new features to enhance your student’s learning experience.
ELearning will be offering webinar sessions, “What’s new in Moodle 2.8” on August 2 and August 5. Registration is available in LearnerWeb. Webinars will be recorded and accessible on-demand for your convenience.
Moodle 2.8 has many new enhancements in usability, the text editor, the assignment tool settings, steps to create quizzes and an improved grade book among many others. See below resources for more information.
- What's new in Moodle 2.8 (ELearning Webinar)
- Moodle 2.8 Highlights Overview (Video, 3:14)
- Usability - handout
- Usability - Video: Autosave in Text editor (1:23)
- Forums (Video, 1:40)
- Quizzes (Video, 2:08)
- Gradebook (Video, 3:54)
- Natural weighting
- Go to Moodle.org to see a complete list of new features within Moodle 2.8
Q & A
I am new to Moodle and want to learn Moodle, what should I do?
If you are new to Moodle, go to Lynda.com and access Moodle 2.8 Essential Training.
You will earn CPCC Professional Development (PD) credit for this training. Be sure to use CPCC as your organization when you are signing into Lynda.com. After completing the self-paced training in Lynda.com, submit the hours and attach evidence of completion in LearnerWeb as an Outside Activity.
You will need a CPCC Moodle Master -or- course shell to practice the activities
I have to get my courses ready for fall 2016 semester, what should I do?
Before July 26, 2016
Try out Moodle 2.8 in the test server environment. This will give you time to familiarize yourself with Moodle enhancements, explore the new features, and ensure your course behaves as you expect. You also have the opportunity to submit your feedback to improve the overall Moodle learning experience. To access the test server, contact: Miluska Taboada (Miluska.Taboada@cpcc.edu) and/or Joy Scott (Joy.Scott@cpcc.edu)
After July 28 (7:01AM)
If you are using Moodle after the upgrade, go ahead and login as usual: http://Moodle.cpcc.edu and edit your courses directly into the new Moodle 2.8 environment.
How do I copy content in Moodle 2.8?
Use the Backup and Restore process as described here
Can I copy course content from the Moodle test environment into the course I’m developing for the Fall –or- into a Master shell?
No, Moodle test environment is just for testing new features. Developing courses should be done in http://moodle.cpcc.edu.
How do I make my course available in Moodle 2.8?
Making your course available in Moodle 2.8 has changed.
- If you are teaching fully online (IN) or Hybrid (Hy), your course will be available the first official date of class for your course.
- If your course is Traditional, coded (TR), ensure your department changes the code in the COD to TR(WB).
Here is the process in both cases:
- Navigate to your Moodle course and find the Administration Block
- Locate Course Administration > Edit Settings > Under GENERAL option, find Visible
- Change VISIBLE to SHOW. See image here