During a severe weather event, the following actions should be taken:
- Seek shelter immediately.
- Move to the lowest level of the building, basements are safest.
- Move to the interior area of the building (interior hallways and rooms).
- Crouch as low as possible to the floor, facing down; and cover your head with your hands
- Stay away from exterior walls, windows, skylights and other areas containing glass.
- Stay out of areas with a large roof expanse (auditoriums, gymnasiums).
Tornado shelter areas have been identified in every building at all campuses.
CPCC employees and students will receive information through emergency communication methods, such as the Critical Alert Emergency Notification System, when a tornado warning is issued by the National Weather Service.
Note: A tornado warning means that a tornado has been spotted or indicated by weather radar in the area.