We appreciate your interest in recruiting CPCC students and graduates. We offer several ways to partner with our office to connect with our students and graduates; please review the following policies regarding recruitment.
- Equal Employment Opportunity standards and all other federal, state, and local laws (including nondiscrimination toward any participant or employee because of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, disability, age, genetic information, or any other legally protected classification)
- Central Piedmont Community College policies and procedures
- The NACE Principles for Professional Conduct and Third Party Recruiters
- The Department of Labor’s Fact Sheet #71 (Internship Opportunities Under the FLSA)
- Please also refer to the Department of Justice's article Best Practices for Online Job Posting regarding citizenship.
Employer partners who are seeking to share job, internship, and co-op opportunities through the EmploymeNC virtual posting system must be approved in order to gain access to post.
Opportunities with the following characteristics will not be posted:
- Require a student to make a financial investment or pay a fee prior to starting employment prior to starting employment (job, internship, or co-op) unless the company is a member in good standing of the Direct Selling Association (DSA)
- Provide students with a financial incentive for recruiting other students
- Located in an employer’s private residence
Other considerations before posting an opportunity include, but are not limited to:
- Questionable or dubious job duties
- Misrepresentation or absence of information in the submitted posting including company name, address, contact phone number (fax number or email), and type of employment opportunity.
- Non – organization specific email address as a contact (ie: @yahoo or @gmail)
- Requiring, at the time of application, personal information such as bank and social security numbers
- Complaints by students, graduates, staff or community members
- Employer partner is out of area but job duties are local
- Position which suggests or infers candidate must act as an agent of CPCC in position to promote product/service
Internships and co-ops are learning experiences that are meant to enhance a student’s program of study, further develop their career goals, and build professional experiences. More specific definitions can be found here. Employer partners should consider the following prior to posting these kinds of opportunities:
- Injury/accident during the internship or co-op: CPCC strongly suggests that employer partners consult their insurance carrier to determine if the existing policy would cover interns and co-op students both paid and unpaid.
- Defining the time parameters and establishing a job description: This allows for both the employer partner and student to have a clear understanding of expectations. For virtual internships/co-ops, employer partners should determine how the work can be properly managed and communicate these guidelines appropriately.
- Successful internships and co-ops have an assigned supervisor: This mentor oversees the student’s work. Students want feedback on their progress and after they complete tasks. A mentor provides guidance and can help eliminate a student’s frustration about unclear assignments or challenging tasks. Students are building upon skills learned in the classroom, and are not necessarily experts in their field.
Career Services maintains several physical bulletin boards on each CPCC campus. These bulletin boards are used to advertise upcoming career events and job postings
- Business advertisements are not permitted on College bulletin boards. (CPCC College Posting Policy)
- Any flyers, posters, business cards, or other employer partner information must be approved by CPCC Career Services before being posted on campus bulletin boards. To submit material to be posted, please email to Career.Services@cpcc.edu.
- All flyers, posters, business cards, or other employer partner material must contain the following information to be posted on campus bulletin boards: company name, address, contact phone number (fax number or email), and type of employment opportunity.
- All flyers, posters, business cards, or other employer partner information will not be posted indefinitely. Career Services reserves the right to manage these materials on our bulletin boards as we see fit.
Career Services hosts on-campus recruiting events throughout the year, as well as an annual career fair. More information about the on-campus recruiting program is available here and more information about the career fair is available .
- Education - Career Services and employer partners/agencies encourage students to remain enrolled and in attendance of classes through completion of the student's educational goals.
- Honesty and Openness - Career Services requires students and employer partners to provide accurate information about employment opportunities. Students and employer partners who intentionally provide dishonest or inaccurate information are no longer eligible to participate in the services provided.
- Fairness - Career Services requires that employer partners utilize fair hiring practices and comply with equal employment opportunity (EEO) practices in all recruiting activities.
- Respect - Career Services encourages students, as well as employer partners, to make informed and intelligent employment decisions without undue pressure. Once a decision is made about employment, all parties are encouraged to communicate the decision within a reasonable time frame.
- Legality - Career Services expects that employer partners will comply with federal, state and local laws and regulations related to labor and employment.
- Integrity - Career Services expects that employer partners will not seek favorable treatment or special favors as a result of gifts, contributed services or financial support.
- Accountability - Career Services collects information from employer partners about their recruitment activities in order to document how Career Services activities meet the needs of students and customers.