Quantitative Data Analyzed:
- Fall 2007-2009 cohort of students enrolled in developmental ENG/RED courses.
- Fall 2009 course data
Major Findings of Data Analysis:
- Students ages 20-24 had lower A-C grades than their younger counterparts.
- Of 670 on-line grades given in developmental ENG/RED, with the exception of ENG 080 and ENG085, the A-C rate lagged the traditional rate by 15%-26%.
- In all developmental ENG/RED courses, African American/Black male performance lagged in comparison to overall success rates.
- In the Fall 2007 cohort, the number of new students who did not take ENG or RED placement tests was surprising.
Other Information Regarding the Decision Making Process:
Suggested Qualitative Data Needed:
- Did students prepare for the placement test?
- Why were so few sections of ENG/RED 085/095 offered? If available, would students take advantage of these courses?
- An analysis of priorities for the 20-24 age group at CPCC.