Tuition Residence Status
All curriculum (college-credit-seeking) students, for tuition purposes, are classified as either in-state or out-of-state upon entering Central Piedmont Community College. This classification, also known as your residence status, is determined by the Residency Determination Service (RDS). Students registered solely for non-credit continuing education courses do not need to establish tuition residency.
Learn more about the Central Piedmont in-state tuition requirements policy.
Submission of Residency Determination Service Data to Central Piedmont for the First Time
- All applicants seeking to earn college credit at Central Piedmont, regardless of residency status, must complete the residency determination service interview and submit their active Residency Certification Number (RCN) on their application before they can submit their application.
- All current students seeking college credit at Central Piedmont who have completed an initial classification, reclassification, or appeal must submit their active residency certification number (RCN) to admissions by completing the residency certification number submission form found on the Student Menu of MyCollege.
Submission of Updated Residency Determination Service Data to Central Piedmont
All students whose residency status has changed from what residency status is on file with Central Piedmont will need to inform the Admissions Office by completing the Residency Classification Number (RCN) Submission Form found on the Student Menu of MyCollege.
Residency Determination Service Validation Results or Status Changes
It is the student’s responsibility to inform Central Piedmont of any RDS determination changes before the end of the effected term.
- If your residency determination changes from in-state to out-of-state residency status before the 10% point of the semester, you can pay out-of-state tuition or request a 100% refund.
- Your balance must be paid within five business days from the date of this notification.
- If a balance remains unpaid, no college transcripts or diplomas will be released.
- To request a refund, you will need to drop the course(s) in MyCollege by clicking on the Register and Drop Sections link, check the box next to the courses to be dropped, then click submit. After the drop is complete, you will need to contact the Cashiering Office for an adjustment within five days of the date on your notification.
- If your residency determination changes from in-state to out-of-state residency status after the 10% point of the semester, you will be allowed to continue the current semester at the in-state rate. This means that your next semester will be at the out-of-state rate unless you successfully complete a reconsideration or appeal via the residency determination service.
- If your residency determination changes from out-of-state to in-state residency status, you might be eligible for a refund.
- Students without an active residency status or an active continuous enrollment expiration date will not be eligible to register for curriculum courses. Complete the online residency interview through the residency determination service to obtain or to update your residency certification number.
- To view your current residence status on file, log in to your MyCollege and click on Tuition Residency Status link on the student menu.
- It is the student’s responsibility to notify Central Piedmont if North Carolina residency is lost or abandoned while enrolled by contacting Admissions or Registration Services at any Central Piedmont campus.
- The residency determination service was established by the NC General Assembly to ensure consistency in determining residency across all 58 community colleges and 16 state universities. Individual institutions no longer make residency determinations. If you have questions, please contact the residency determination service.
- Please note that the residency certification number submission form will only work in Microsoft Internet Explorer with the latest version of Java. If you have issues submitting your residency certification number using the residency certification number submission form, send your residency certification number and your Central Piedmont student identification number to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject of "Residency Certification Number Submission" or "Residency Certification Number Update."