Solicitation of Donations from Community, Foundation, and Corporate Sources Guidelines And Procedures
A. Private grants, gifts, donations, and bequests from community sources are solicited for the College by, or with the approval of, the Vice President of Institutional Advancement.
B. College employees and/or students proposing to solicit gifts or donations for incentive awards, raffles, and the like shall prepare a one-page abstract describing the proposed solicitation, obtain written approval of the supervising dean, and forward this documentation to the Vice President of Institutional Advancement.
C. College employees and/or students proposing to solicit donations of equipment shall prepare a one-page abstract describing the proposed solicitation, obtain the written approval of the supervising dean and unit vice president, and provide the Vice President of Institutional Advancement with this documentation. The Vice President of Institutional Advancement will meet with involved faculty and staff to determine the best approach to the prospective donor. The involved instructional or administrative area will also be required to complete the Gift-In-Kind form.
D. A College instructional or administrative unit or employee proposing to seek a grant of funds from a local foundation or corporation to support a defined institutional need or priority will follow the Procedure for Gift/Grant Fund Solicitation procedure.
II. Procedure for Gift/Grant Fund Solicitation
A. College instructional or administrative unit or an individual member of the faculty and staff interested in developing a grant proposal to fund a defined program or project will meet with the Vice President of Institutional Advancement and/or designated Institutional Advancement staff to discuss:
- The purpose of the program or project;
- The objectives or outcomes that relate to the mission or goals of the College;
- The plans for evaluating the program or project;
- The cost, budget and amount of grant requested;
- The length of the program or project and plans for it to become self-sustaining, if that is appropriate;
- The benefits that will accrue to the College;
- The name and department of the person who will work with the Institutional Advancement Office in developing the proposal; and.
- The name of the person who will be responsible for the program or project, if it is funded.
B. The Vice President for Institutional Advancement will secure requisite administrative authorization to move forward with proposal concept development.
C. Institutional Advancement will identify potential funding sources for the proposal, utilizing the resources of the Central Piedmont Foundation and Grants Development and Performance.
D. All required submission information and requirements for funding sources will be obtained by Institutional Advancement. Institutional Advancement will oversee the preparation of the proposal and/or application and compilation of support materials in conjunction with the primary faculty/staff contact.
F. The Vice President for Institutional Advancement will obtain all requisite administrative approvals prior to proposal/application submission.
G. The development, submission, and tracking of proposals/applications will be coordinated by the Central Piedmont Foundation and Grants Development and Performance.
III. Gift and Grant Management after Funding
A. The Central Piedmont Foundation, under the direction of the Vice President for Institutional Advancement, will be responsible for the management of private gifts from individual donors and grants from regional corporations and foundations.
B. Post-award measures include:
- Acknowledging the gift or grant in a prompt manner;
- Assuring proper recognition of the gift/grant as agreed upon with the donor;
- Establishing a distinct fund for the management and administration of gift grant funds;
- Coordinating the use of gift and grant funds with the benefiting College program or project;
- Tracking the disbursement and use of gift or grant funds; and,
- Preparing requisite donor stewardship reports.
C. Grant management after funding for state, federal, and selected national foundation grants will follow the procedures defined in Grant Proposal and Post-Award Administration Procedures and Guidelines.