- Expense for authorized travel on official College business by Central Piedmont employees, trustees, students, and prospective professional employees shall be reimbursed from state funds, subject to limitations established by state policy as outlined in the Accounting Procedures Manual published by the North Carolina State Board.
- Reimbursable travel expenses include the cost of transportation by private or public motor vehicles; fares paid for public conveyances; fees paid for parking and tolls; the costs of lodging, meals, registration, and business phone calls; and gratuities. Reimbursements from state funds are subject to any maximums established by the state.
- All reimbursement requests shall be submitted for approval and payment within 30 days after the end of the travel period or June 30, whichever comes first.
- All travel reimbursement is contingent upon the availability of funds.
- All travel must be approved in advance by the employee's immediate administrator. Additional pre-approvals may be required for state-funded travel and out-of-state travel and are outlined on the Central Piedmont intranet (requires Central Piedmont login).
- All international travel must be approved by the President. Additional requirements regarding international travel are covered in the Central Piedmont intranet (requires Central Piedmont login).
- Travel for prospective professional employees must be approved by the President or designee.
- Student Travel
- If travel expenses of students are to be paid by state funds, the students must be on official College business.
- The travel of students participating in athletic contests or student organization activities must be paid from non-state funds.
- Travel by students must be authorized by the administrator who manages the budget from which the funds are paid as the President's designee.
- A blanket Request for Authorization to Travel form (requires Central Piedmont login) for an employee who conducts College business on a routine basis within the local area is required. The Request for Authorization to Travel form may be completed and approval secured annually.
- A separate Request for Authorization to Travel form (requires Central Piedmont login) must be completed and approved for all travel not covered under the blanket Request for Authorization to Travel.
- Employee travel between home and the work site/duty station to which the employee is assigned on a given day will not be reimbursed.
- The College has set standardized mileage distances between Central Piedmont campuses (requires Central Piedmont login). The College reimburses travel between Central Piedmont campuses at these standardized distances outlined on the Central Piedmont intranet.
- Specific information and instructions pertaining to College procedures and state limitations on expenditures are on the Accounts Payable website on the Central Piedmont intranet (requires Central Piedmont login).
- A Request for Authorization to Travel form (requires Central Piedmont login) must be completed prior to the travel date by or for the individual requesting permission to travel. Such form is to be completed even if no reimbursement will be requested.
- The Request for Authorization to Travel form (requires Central Piedmont login) will be submitted to the immediate administrator or other administrator who has the authority to provide initial authorization.
- Authorization by all designated personnel denotes approval of the travel and, when required, encumbrance of funds to cover projected cost.
- If repayment of expenses is requested, a Travel Expense Report/Local Travel Expense Reimbursement form (requires Central Piedmont login) form must be completed and approved within 30 days after the travel is completed or June 30, whichever comes first. Documentation in the form of receipts or invoices for costs of lodging, registration, public conveyance (e.g., air, rail, bus, car rental), parking, and tolls must be retained and attached to the Travel Expense Report form. The form will be forwarded to Accounts Payable.
- Local mileage reimbursements should be approved and received in Accounts Payable no later than 30 days after the last day of the previous month.
Changes approved by Cabinet on May 12, 2003; January 11, 2010