6.02 Assignment of Keys
- The assignment of keys will be carefully controlled to protect the security interests of the College while providing for the legitimate access requirements of employees.
- Upon appropriate authorization, an employee will be assigned a key to his/her office or work area. Keys to exterior doors and to classified or high security areas will be authorized only when the need is well documented.
- Keys must not be duplicated by employees or loaned to unauthorized personnel.
- An employee may be charged the full cost of replacing a lost or stolen key and any locks opened by that key.
- An employee who terminates employment at the College will not receive the final paycheck until his/her key account is cleared.
A. Authorization Control
Office and work area keys will be issued upon the authorization of the immediate administrator. The supervising group administrator or unit vice president shall authorize keys for exterior doors and for classified or high security areas.
B. Issuance Control
- The Facilities Services Division will control the issuance and return of keys authorized for a full-time employee. Human Resources will ensure that all full-time employees terminating service with the College will check out through Facilities Services for return of keys.
- The immediate administrator will control the issuance and return of interior door keys authorized for a part-time employee. The unit vice president will control the issuance and return of exterior door keys authorized for a part-time employee. All unassigned keys must be returned to Facilities Services.
- The Facilities Services Division will maintain a key account for each employee, listing the keys assigned to that employee and lost key charges.