Frequently Asked Questions


What do I do to get started in the turfgrass management technology program?
Go to any area campus of CPCC to get registered, if you haven’t taken classes
before at CPCC or go online. You will need to meet with a counselor and send for your transcripts to enter the degree programs. You may have to take placement tests.
Once you are in the program of choice, you will be assigned an advisor and
we’ll assist you in planning your classes.

Do I have to be in a program to take horticulture or turf classes?
No. We have a wide range of students taking classes. They may be exploring
the field or continuing with their professional education.

What should I take first?
Core courses (TRF110) are recommended to take first. If a recommended
sequence of courses would be useful to you in your school planning,
please e-mail us.



Where are the courses offered?
Most of the classes are offered at the Cato Campus, but occasionally
we will have offerings at Central, South, and North Campuses. Some of our courses are
on television and on line.

Can I get my degree by just taking evening classes?
Many of our students work full or part time and take just evening classes.
So, yes, you can get your degree in this manner.

How much money does it cost to take a class?
A: It will depend upon how many hours you are taking per semester. Currently for In-State students, it is $72 per credit hour, up to $1152 for 16 hours or more. Additional fees are based upon the hours or course, but the ranges are $26-$35 Student Activity Fee, $21 per hour (up to $168) Lab Fees, $48 Technology Fees, and $73 or $97 CAPS Fee (Campus Access, Parking and Security). Out-of-State tuition is much higher.

What kind of job opportunities are there for turf graduates?
Many of our students become golf course superintendents or assistant superintendents, landscapers, sport field superintendents, supervisors in maintenance crews, own their own businesses in maintenance, or enter sales in horticulture related products.

Who do I contact for more information or advice on courses to take?
Contact your advisor (if known) or the Horticulture and Turfgrass Program Chair.