Alternative Spring Break
“I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I do know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve.” Albert Schweitzer
Alternative Spring Break (ASB) is a low-cost service trip that provides students with an opportunity to participate in meaningful service activities, learn more about community issues, and have fun. In the past, students have traveled to Savannah, Charleston, Atlanta, Wilmington, and Sumter, SC. The 2015 ASB trip location has not yet been determined.
- A non-refundable $50 deposit is required at time of application
- complete 3 hours of service this semester, Spring 2015.
- must show proof of student insurance prior to the trip.
- Students will be selected based upon their commitment to service. ASB is a service trip, first and foremost
Applications will be available towards the end of the Fall 2014 semester.
In order to go on the trip, you must meet the following requirements:
- Application submitted no later than Monday, December 8, 2014 along with the $100 application fee - if you are not selected to go on this trip, you will be reimbursed this application fee.
- Payments for the trip must be paid in full and on-time as set by the schedule of due dates
- Complete a minimum of 20 service hours that are documented with our Service-Learning Office.
- Must have a valid passport for travel
- Must document ability to cover expenses of International travel
International ASB cost includes:
- Round-trip Airfare from Charlotte to Kingston and returning to Charlotte
- Transportation expenses to and from airport and all other transportation costs
- Hotel accommodations in Kingston and Montego Bay
- All Breakfasts through the duration of the trip
- Tours & tour guides, show tickets, and museum entry fees
- The total price for this trip is $1790, however 6 participants will receive a $1090 scholarship from the CPCC Service-Learning office. The remaining student cost will be $700.
- The payment breakdown is as follows. Please note that we are unable to move payment dates:
- $100 turned in with the application - will be deducted from first payment requirement
- Second payment ($250) is due no later than December 15, 2014
- Third and final payment ($350) is due no later than January 31, 2015
- You must also apply, purchase, and cover your own fees for obtaining or updating a valid passport
- You are responsible for Lunch and Dinner every day of the trip
- You want to consider bringing extra money for this trip for extra items, souvenirs, and other unexpected costs
- Each morning (roughly 4 hours per day) will be spent teaching at the local YMCA Boy's School in Kingston, Jamaica.
- Afternoons and evenings are reserved for cultural immersion opportunities, exploring Jamaica through events, shows, museums, tours, food, and exploration.
- Detailed itinerary TBA