Prospective BLET candidates must contact Nzinga Reel, Qualified Assistant for BLET at 704.330.4110, to set up an appointment for a preliminary interview. In addition to the standard Central Piedmont Community College (CPCC) admission criteria, each candidate must meet the following requirements to be certified by the North Carolina Department of Justice, Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission.
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be at least 20 1/2 years of age
- A valid North Carolina Drivers license
- Be a High School Graduate or have passed GED test. Note: High School diplomas earned through correspondence enrollment does not meet this requirment. 12 NCAC 09B .0106
- Must score 10th grade level or higher on the Accuplacer Reading test prior to enrollment
- Be of good moral character pursuant to G.S. 17C-10.
- Not committed or convicted in a court of a felony, Class B misdemeanor, or 4 or more Class A misdemeanors in accordance with the rules established by the North Carolina Administrative Code. Note: This also includes all out of state and military charges.
- Examined and certified by a NC licensed physician as being capable of performing the duties of a Law Enforcement Officer.
- A certified criminal record check from the "Clerk of the Courts" office in each County/State of residence since the age of 16 years old. This also applies to any time in which the candidate was a member of the US military (Military records).