Safety and Security

In Case of an Emergency

Call College Security if you need assistance with any safety or security matters, apparent crimes, first aid or medical emergencies. We encourage you to report any crime, regardless of how insignificant it may seem. Call 6632 from any on-campus telephone, and on Central Campus at the red or yellow security telephones. that affects your students, your classes, or your teaching duties

.Critical Alert: How to Update Settings

  1. Log into
  2. Email Preferences: in addition to your CPCC email, you can type your personal email address(es) in the “Add Email” box, then click the yellow “add” button.
  3. Text and Voice Preferences: Please make your mobile number your primary contact number.
    - You can add other contact numbers (work/home/family) by clicking “more.”
    - Important: under the “carrier” dropdown menu, please make sure that “no carrier” is selected.
    - To receive text notifications, check the “text” box. To receive voice notifications, check the “voice” box.
  4. Click the “save” button at the bottom.

Please note that standard text rates apply to CPCC notifications.

Emergency Response Guidebook

Download a printable version of the Emergency Response Guidebook, and use as a reference in case of an emergency.

What do do if... 27 Safety and Security FAQ's

1. What do I do if I get to my classroom, and it’s locked? On any campus, call College Security at 6911* and a college security officer** will be dispatched to unlock the door.

2. What do I do if a student gets sick or has a seizure in my class? On any campus, call College Security at 6911*. The security dispatcher will contact the community 911 emergency responder as needed and also dispatch a college security officer** to remain on the scene until the emergency responder arrives.

3. What if I’m uncomfortable walking to my car in the parking lot, especially at night? On any campus, call College Security at 6911* to request an escort. You may also advise any college security personnel** that you see en route and ask them for assistance.

4. What do I do if I feel a student is stalking me? On any campus, call College Security at 6911*. They will advise you as to procedures for reporting the incident to the appropriate law enforcement agency and will work with you regarding escorts to your vehicles or other remote parts of campuses.

5. What do I do if I feel threatened in class or afterward by a student? Call College Security at 6911* and college security personnel** will be dispatched to your classroom or will contact you to discuss the situation further. Security works with the Associate Vice President for Student Services to determine if actions should be taken to suspend or ban the student from campuses. Be sure to send a copy of the written incident report to your immediate supervisor.

6. How can I find out if my classes are cancelled or if the college is closed for bad weather? In the event of inclement weather or other emergency situations, all members of the College should listen to area radio and television stations for announcements regarding the operation of the College. In addition, the CPCC website will have an announcement regarding closings. CPCC TV 17 will announce any closing or delays as well. When the College closes, all classes at all campuses are cancelled.

7. What can I do if I have a lot of materials to unload for my class, and I need to temporarily park as close to the building as possible? You can park in the loading zone of the building for 20 minutes or call Security at 6911* and they will dispatch a Preferred Parking attendant to assist you if you have problems with finding an area to unload.

8. What if I want to get into a building on the weekend to do some work?
If you want to access a building on the weekend that is already open for College business, you may enter the unlocked building and proceed to your office.
b. If the College, the individual campus or individual building is closed, you must have prior authorization to enter. Prior authorization consists of your supervisor (or someone in your supervisory chain) advising the Director of College Security via email prior to the weekend that you may need to access the building and the expected time of access and the supervisor must receive confirmation from the Director of College Security. When you arrive at the campus, report to Security, present a CPCC ID or other valid picture ID, and wait for Security to disarm alarms and unlock the building. When you are ready to leave, you must notify Security to relock the building and reset the alarms. (At Central Campus, report to the Security Dispatch Office. At other campuses, go to the main entrance to the building to wait for security. If college security personnel do not arrive within a reasonable period, call 6911*.) Please note that certain individuals have been pre-approved to enter buildings on weekends because of their job duties. These individuals follow procedures that have been mutually agreed upon by the individuals and College Security. An example is that certain members of the Horticulture Department are authorized to report to Cato Campus’ Horticulture Building and surrounding grounds to tend and water plants while the College is closed for the winter holidays.
c. If the College is closed due to inclement weather or other events covered by that policy, personnel are not to report to campuses unless they are on the pre-approved list of personnel based on their job duties or unless it is otherwise an emergency. For the emergency situations, approval from a supervisor is required and the same procedures noted in b. must be followed.

9. How long can I expect to wait if I call Security for help? Three (3) minutes for emergencies and fifteen (15) minutes for non emergencies.

10. How do I get a parking pass for a guest speaker? Call Security at 6911* and they will contact Preferred Parking Services.

11. What do I do when the fire alarm goes off? When you hear the fire alarm, begin immediate evacuation using the closest EXIT - even if no one advises you to leave. Do not use the elevators. Instructors should ensure all students have exited prior to leaving. Remain at least 300 feet from the building in the designated assembly area. Do not reenter the building until instructed to do so by emergency responders, College Security, or Building Emergency Captains.

12. What do I do if there’s a bomb threat in my building? Proceed as instructed by College Security or emergency personnel. Do not use cell phones or other electronic devices if you are within 150 feet of a potential bomb. If you receive a bomb threat by phone, when you hang up, immediately dial 9*57 or *57 from a non-campus phone to electronically flag the call. If the phone number is displayed on your phone, record that number. Notify College Security at 6911* and proceed as directed.

13. What do I do if students are fighting in my classroom or in the hall? Call College Security at 6911* and college security personnel** will be dispatched to the scene. DO NOT try to handle the situation yourself.

14. What if my classroom is too hot or too cold? Call 6000 (704.330.6000 from a non-campus phone) and report the location.

15. Can I ask a student to leave my class if he/she is disruptive? What if he/she refuses to leave? You may ask a student to leave if he/she is disruptive. DO NOT attempt to handle the situation yourself! If the student does not leave when asked, call or have someone call College Security at 6911*. If the disruption is severe, dismiss the entire class and contact College Security at 6911*. Be sure to send the written incident report to your immediate supervisor, and the Associate Vice President for Student Services.

16. Can I ask a student to leave my class if I feel he/she is too sick or too contagious? You may NOT request that a student leave your class if you feel he/she is too sick or contagious. Per CPCC Policy 6.0, Persons who know or who have reason to believe they are infected with a communicable disease have an obligation to conduct themselves in accordance with such knowledge in order to protect themselves and others. Students and employees who have communicable diseases, whether symptomatic or not, shall be allowed regular classroom and work attendance in a non restrictive manner as long as they are able to attend classes and/or work and do not pose a medically proven threat for transmission of the disease or condition.

17. What do I do if I have a personal emergency and can’t get to my class? Notify your immediate supervisor as soon as possible for further direction.

18. What do I do if I see students vandalizing the building? Immediately report the incident to College Security at 6911*.

19. How do I find out what procedures to follow if my campus is locked down for a day or more due to the rapid spread of a disease or some other emergency? Students and staff can receive available information through the CPCC website and CPCC TV.

20. Can I lock a student out of my class for being late for class? Can I lock a student out of my class for being disrespectful to me? How do students know what kind of behavior is expected of them on CPCC’s campuses? All instructors should have a syllabus complete with class rules and consequences based on CPCC Student and Faculty Policies and Procedures.

21. For a three-hour class, how many breaks, if any, should I give my class? How long should they be? Rules for breaks vary based on the course. Contact your department to find out which rules apply to your course.

22. What if a student is sending me numerous e-mails that are beginning to be suggestive or more than a student-instructor relationship? Report the incident(s) to your immediate supervisor. Proceed as instructed by your supervisor.

23. What if a student isn’t happy with the grade he earned in my class and threatens me with harm if I don’t change the grade? Report the incident to your immediate supervisor and College Security.

24. We have fire drills, but do we ever have tornado drills, and what do I do if such a natural disaster occurs during one of my classes? We do not have tornado drills at this time. If a tornado warning is issued by the National Weather Service for the area, you will be notified by email, CPCC website, and CPCC TV and instructed to move to a safe location in your building. College Security and Building Emergency Captains will notify classes in session of the warning. Safe locations include lower levels and interior corridors of the building, away from glassed areas such as windows, doors, and skylights. Move out of areas with a wide roof expanse (gymnasiums, auditoriums).

25. If I have any kind of problem, who is the main contact person in the evening at my campus? If it is a safety or security issue, call College Security at 6911*. For other issues, contact the Evening Director for your campus.

26. What if I have a housekeeping problem—no paper towels in the restroom, a spilled soft drink in my class, and other such incidents? Between 7 a.m. and 3 p.m., call Facilities Services’ Customer Service Desk at 6000 (704.330.6000 from a non-campus phone). During other hours, if the housekeeping or maintenance issue can wait until the next business day to be addressed, call 6000 and leave a message. If it cannot wait until the next business day (e.g., no electrical power, burst or leaking water pipe, situation that causes a safety hazard, etc), contact College Security at 6911*. They will notify Facilities Management personnel who are on-call.

27. What should I do if I see evidence of possible fraudulent or corrupt activity such as arson, theft, damage, embezzlement or misuse of College property? Under state law and per CPCC Policy 4.72, employees are required to report this information to his/her immediate supervisor within three days and must file a written report with CPCC Security.