Work-Based Learning (Co-op)
Work-Based Learning (Co-op) Eligibility requirements:
1. The student must be enrolled in either the Paralegal Technology AAS Degree Program (A25380) or the Paralegal Technology Post-Baccalaureate Diploma Program (D25380).
2. The student must have and maintain a 2.5 GPA (Program). (This means that in order to be eligible for Work-Based Learning courses, a student must have completed at least one semester in the paralegal program, in order to meet this GPA requirement).
3. The student must have successfully completed (earn a C or better) a minimum of 12 credit hours of paralegal program course requirements (may include CPCC-approved transfer courses). These 12 hours must include a minimum of two LEX courses. (LEX 110, 140,120, OST 136, 164, and ENG 111 are preferable courses to complete prior to registering for work-based learning).
4. The student must be registered for a minimum of three credit hours of required coursework which will be completed concurrently with the work-based learning course. Exceptions to this requirement will be made for students who have less than three hours of coursework to complete in order to obtain a paralegal degree. Any other exceptions will be made at the discretion of the Paralegal and Workplace Learning departments.
5. The student must receive written approval to register for Work-Based Learning courses from both the Paralegal department and the Workplace Learning department. (Note: This decision to approve a student for co-op lies within the discretion of the Paralegal Program faculty and the Workplace Learning department. Therefore even if the above requirements have all been met, a faculty member may still choose not to approve a student for a Work-Based Learning assignment.
Work-Based Learning Procedural Requirements:
If you have met these eligibility requirements, please contact a paralegal full-time faculty member about obtaining a position and getting registered.
Before you can register you will need to fill out a work-based learning application which you can download from the Workplace Learning website. You will also need written approval from a full-time faculty member.
Once you have secured a work-based learning position, received written approval from a faculty member, and completed the work-based learning paperwork, you will be ready to register. Work-Based Learning registrations are done through Mia Mallory at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please understand that most Work-Based Learning positions arranged for by the school are unpaid positions. To learn about those positions, please contact our Workplace Learning coordinator Mia Mallory. If you have or obtain a paid legal position on your own, you can work with your faculty advisor and use that job for your co-op.
NOTE: there are often positions for paralegal students posted on the CPCC career services job listings and on the bulletin board in the paralegal department. Those employers have shown a special interest in working with our students and often are willing to allow the job to be used for co-op credit..
Link to the Workplace Learning website.
Note: Paralegals may not provide legal services directly to the public, except as permitted by law.