How long will it take before I get my benefits?

  • That depends upon the chapter of benefits that you are applying for and the time necessary to complete your application process. However, be aware that the VA certifying process can take months.

When is early class registration for veterans?

  • Veterans can register for classes two weeks before other students. Early registration is based upon your total credit hours accumulated and the student’s current enrollment status.

Why did they certify me as an out-of state student?

  • The residency criterion does vary for the state of North Carolina. They take into account where you pay your taxes, your residency, voting history, vehicle registration and drivers license as part of the evaluation process. If you are unsure, look under residency in the MyCollege section and/or visit the residency page on the Admissions website for more information.

When will I receive my money?

  • Your money will be released when the certification process has been completed.

What benefits am I eligible for?

  • The Department of VA is the best source for what benefits you qualify for. Please contact them by visiting their website or by calling 1-800-827-1000 for general benefits and 1-888-442-4551 for educational benefits.

I don’t know what to do, will you tell me?

  • What is most important to you right now? Education or work? Once you have that figured out we can help you tailor a course of action that is best suited for your goals.

What do you all offer?

  • Services to the veteran and their families (i.e. Counseling, Program Evaluation, Information and Job Referrals, Workshops).

Can you certify me?

  • No. That can only be done by an official VA school certifying counselor after your VA paperwork and the Veterans packet is complete. Read about the certification process on the CPCC Veterans Affairs website.

Why does it take so long?

  • This all depends on whether you turn in your paperwork on time and if you are proactive about following up with CPCC and the VA on the status of your application for benefits.

Can you help me get employment?

  • There are employment opportunities available but there are no guarantees. The Center for Military Families and Veterans can assist in resumé preparation, networking, possible internships, interviewing techniques, and other skills to help you get your foot in the door. Please contact us at 704-330-6126 for any questions.

Are there veteran discounts on tuition?

How do I start my benefits?

Can I speak to a counselor now?

  • We handle walk-ins as schedule permits. If we are unavailable that day, you can schedule an appointment by calling 704-330-6126.

Where is the refund?

  • Refunds are dispersed beginning after the first quarter of the semester.

What do I do once my aid ends?

  • Be proactive continuously seek advice on available aid throughout the school year. It is important to note that you must reapply for FAFSA Pell Grant every year starting January 1st. The College Foundation is also available regarding available scholarships.

What placement tests do I need?

  • CPCC currently offers the Accuplacer test for academic advisement.

How do I get military transcripts?

  • Visit https://jst.doded.mil/smart/dodMandatoryBannerForm/submit.do. Next, register in the system and your transcript will be available.  By clicking Official transcript, you can send an electronic copy to Central Piedmont Community college. Note: if you are an Air Force veteran please see below. For any questions, please contact us at 704-330-6126 for further assistance.

I am an Air Force Veteran how do I get my military transcripts?

  • First, visit http://www.au.af.mil/au/ccaf/transcripts.asp. Click on the following link to walk through the process. Online Transcript System.
  • In some situations, you may not be able to order a transcript online through our system. If you are unable to order a transcript through the CCAF online system you have the following options:
    • For a minimum charge, you can order a transcript through Credentials Inc. online or via telephone from virtually anywhere in the world and your transcript will be mailed out the next business day. Express shipping is offered through this service. https://www.credentials-inc.com
    • Credentials can be reached by phone at 1-800-646-1858 / 1-847-446-1027 from 0700hrs to 1900hrs CST
    • Visit your Air Force education center. They can order your free transcript online and it will be mailed out the following business day.
    • Send a written request that includes your full name or former name if appropriate, social security account number, and the address of the location you want the free transcript to be sent. Your signature is required for release of a transcript.
  • CCAF MAILING ADDRESS: CCAF/DESS 100 South Turner Blvd Gunter Annex, AL 36114-3011
  • Notice: Transcript requests sent by fax or email will NOT be accepted.

    • If you need to expedite the mailing process you can have your transcript sent through Fed Ex.

    How do know what classes to take?

    • Under the MyCollege tab, locate Program Evaluation under Academic Profile. Once you open that you should be able to see the classes that are required for your major.

    How do I know what classes are approved for my program?

    • Once you have completed both of your orientations, taken the Accuplacer, and have had all your previous academic transcripts sent to CPCC, you will be able to register with your academic counselor. They will discuss with you the proper courses to take for the next semester.
      Note(s): Your program evaluation in MyCollege will also let you know who your academic counselor is. It is a good idea to check with one of our counselors to ensure your schedule will be certified for VA benefits.

    Where is the Center for Military Families and Veterans located?

    • Central Campus, Terrell Building, Room 233 (across from the Central High building). Our physical address is 1201 Elizabeth Avenue Charlotte, NC 28235.
    • Mailing address is: Central Campus, Center for Military Families and Veterans, TE 233, P.O Box 35009, Charlotte, NC 28235.
    • We also have locations on the Cato, Levine, and Merancas campuses.

    If I complete the New Student Orientation, do I still need to attend the VA Workshop?

    • Yes, as a new student you will need BOTH orientations in order to get started at CPCC.

    Can you help me understand VA?

    • Yes we can answer some of the questions that you may have and we have a VA rep here on Tuesday afternoon.

    Where do I go to get my DD214?

    • The DD214 is available from the National Archives. Also a copy of your DD214 is at the St. Louis, VA office as well as your state (place of record) Regional Office.

    How do I start my benefits?

    Can I speak to a counselor now?

    • We handle walk-ins as schedule permits. If we are unavailable that day, we can schedule an appointment for you.

    Where is the refund?

    • Refunds are dispersed beginning after the first quarter of the semester.