Pharmacy Technology Program Overview (A45580)
It's a great time to be a pharmacy technician...
A career in pharmacy gives you the opportunity to be a part of one of the fastest growing fields in health care. Pharmacy technicians work closely with pharmacists to help ensure that patients have the medications they need.
A pharmacy technician works closely with pharmacists in hospitals, drug and grocery stores, and other medical settings to help prepare and distribute medicines to patients. In many pharmacies, technicians:
- Screen prescription orders for accuracy and completeness
- Prepare prescriptions--retrieve, count, pour, weigh, measure, and sometimes mix the medication
- Perform calculations
- Prepare medicines used to treat cancer
- Assist in the management of investigational drug studies
- Use technology to help maintain accurate patient records, prepare and package medications, and place orders
PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
- Program details: Prepares individuals to assist the pharmacist in duties that a technician can legally perform and to function within the boundaries prescribed by the pharmacist and the employment agency.
- Associate of Applied Science (AAS) Degree
- Program length: 5 semesters
- Admission Cycle: Fall semester
- Method of Instruction: Classroom/online instruction and hands-on, practical experience