Evaluation of Part-Time Instructors
The evaluation of part-time faculty will include classroom visitation/evaluation by a supervisor or other designated person, student evaluations, and an evaluation conference at least once every year. For newly hired part-time instructors, one iteration of the evaluation process will be completed by the second semester of the instructor’s employment.
Evaluation of Newly Hired Part-Time Instructors
- All new part-time instructors will be observed in an instructional setting during the first two semesters of employment. The observation visits may be announced or unannounced. The evaluator will use the current CPCC as the basis of the evaluation.
- Students in each of their classes will evaluate all part-time instructors each semester.
- A program chair, discipline chair, coordinator, division director, director, dean or other designated faculty member will complete the evaluation of new part-time instructors. If someone is designated as an evaluator, that designation must be recommended by the division director and approved by the appropriate dean.
- A conference will be held between the part-time instructor and an evaluator/supervisor no later than at the end of the second semester of instruction, at which time student opinion surveys, classroom observation/evaluation materials, and other pertinent information will be discussed.
- Positive comments and suggestions for improvement will be recorded on the “Comments” section of the Classroom Observation Form. The part-time instructor and the evaluator will both sign the document. A copy will be provided to the instructor, and the division director.
- After the initial evaluation, the part-time instructor will be evaluated at least once a year.
- A part-time instructor who does not achieve a satisfactory evaluation will not be rehired.
Evaluation of Continuing Part-Time Instructors
- For part-time instructors who have completed two semesters of teaching at CPCC, a classroom observation/evaluation will occur by a supervisor/evaluator at least once every year of employment. The observation visit may be announced or unannounced. The evaluator will use the CPCC Classroom Observation Form as the basis for the evaluation.
- Student Opinion Surveys will be administered in all classes and at all sites. Student confidentiality will be maintained.
- The division director, program chair, discipline chair, or coordinator will conference with each part-time instructor annually to discuss teaching strengths and weaknesses based upon the instructor’s self-assessment, data from the Student Opinion Survey, and classroom observations. The conference will be used to discuss ways to improve teaching performance,and to suggest appropriate professional development activities.
- Positive comments and suggestions for improvement will be recorded on the “Comments” section of the Classroom Observation Form. The part-time instructor and the evaluator will both sign the document. A copy will be provided to the instructor, and to the division director.
Revised April 2011